Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3Com Fast Etherlink - FD or not?

Options
  • 25-10-2003 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a 3C595-TX for use in a proxy server for the house, but I remember it not being able to do full-duplex in 100MBit mode, at least under windows.
    I was wondering if anyone knows if this was a hardware limitation or a simple case of me using the default (crap) windows driver for it before?
    Will be using it under Debian 3.0.

Btw, the chice for the 100Mbit card is between this and a RealTek 8139C.
    The card I'm using for the WAN interface to the dsl router is a 3Com Etherlink XL 3C900 Combo ("Boomerang"), 10MBit PCi card.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dilbert_ie

I don't fully understand your network requirements.

Do you want full duplex between the 100mb and the 10mb 3900 ?

The standard ethernet negotiation for full/haf is that they auto negotiate and the fastest option is always taken.

If both cards support full duplex they will automatically select it.

If its a 10mb card full duplex is very unlikely as its an option only available to 100mbps plus.

With 10Gb its mandatory to use full duplex.

Essentially with full duplex more than one pair of wires is being used so that you can transmit and receive at the same time.

Advertisement