Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man U - Fulham (score)

• 25-10-2003 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Well it looks like poor defending is costing united yet again 3-1 down, there is no hope for them in Europe with their current defence, not that i give a ****

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

And you only found that out now!!!
    Utd's defence is crap its just that their midfield protects them very well and teams are generally more cautious against them

anyway i wonder will this thread be hijacked by arsenal and liverpool supporters gloating over this result!!!

hmmm i wonder but then again were not muppets!!:D :D

nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thought they had the best defence in PL for last 2 years.

Silly me :)

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yea but my reason for that is my earlier post

remember real madrid last season when they practically scored at will...... or am i just silly!!!

when teams actually test their defence they find put that their not all that....like today:D :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by jank
    And you only found that out now!!!
    Utd's defence is crap its just that their midfield protects them very well and teams are generally more cautious against them
    load of rubbish. their defence is excellent by premiership standards.
    anyway i wonder will this thread be hijacked by arsenal and liverpool supporters gloating over this result!!!
    looks that way already.
    hmmm i wonder but then again were not muppets!!:D :D

nuff said
    you could have fooled me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fulham deserved it. We need some more squad depth. Scholes and Keane were rested and we got whooped. We were very lucky to go in at 1-1. Ronaldo having another ****ty game and Forlan the plank missing a sitter to go 2-1 up and maybe win the game.
    Anyway this farce of a carling cup against leeds on tuesday
    I expect to see forlan,bellion,Richardson,mads timm,fletcher etc all starting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

In the words of Mark Lawernson you have to win your home games.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

The reason united are letting in more goals now is that teams are no lomger afraid of them. A couple of seasons ago if a team went behind or if united equalised the opposition would just buckle, now the lesser teams feel they can always nab a goal against the opposition

Fergie being accused of tinkering and arrogance by the Utd fans on radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by jank
    Paranoia at it's best... Funny how united can hijack other threads mind you...

The match was only a blip I'm guessing. Four changes from midweek and if they're winning in europe then I think AF will settle for that.

Without Keane on the pitch the defence is a little more exposed (shame he's getting old) but it definitely one of the best in the league regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

oh my god, 3-1, its a crises, we've the worst defense in the world, nobody fears us, a disgraceful 3rd in league with 10 games gone....

get over it people, there'l b days like this. utd have been playing poor recently by their high standards, havnt really kicked off this season i dont think, i say that every year and then they come bang into form from christmas on.

fulham are a decent side and coleman has them battling well. their joint top scorers in the league so far, its not all down to utd's shaky defense. with scholes and keane rested, the whole spine of the team was missing today bar van.

if arsenal win 2mara, which is not certain by anymeans utd will still only be 4 points off the top. keep the gap less than 10 before christmas and utd will more than likely retain their title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I have to disagree with everyone who said united’s defence is crap, I personally think united have the best defence in Europe if not the world ;). Fulham are just a really good football team.

It's great being a Fulham supporter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Whoever said the that United have a poor defence need a good slap to wake them up. They have one of the best defensive records last season and have one of the best so far this season. The midfield are meant to protect the defence, so how you say they are only good because of their midfield is a bit pointless.

They didnt play too well both today and mid week, doubt it will last much longer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Aye, it's great being a Fulham fan, hehehe. Malbranque played top class today, it's a good thing we have him til 2007. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm just gonna chuckle away to myself at the score :)

hehehe *chuckle chuckle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by smemon

if arsenal win 2mara, which is not certain by anymeans utd will still only be 4 points off the top. keep the gap less than 10 before christmas and utd will more than likely retain their title.

Weren't you saying that Liverpools chances were gone because they were 12 points adrift now, yet Utd at 10 pts adrift with less games to go will be likely to retain their title?

I don' think it was a blip, at least you can't call it a blip if you give Fulham the credit they deserve. The RTE and to a lesser extent the ITV coverage was woefully biased and made Utd look alot better than they were. Listened to it on the radio and apart from Forlans goal and the first 25 minutes of the second half, Fulham were by far the better team and the scoreline doesn't flatter them at all.

Some Utd players are low on confidence at present, O'Shea and Ferdinand particularly, however I fully expect them to get their act together. The season is very young yet and Utd, like Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle and Liverpool are going to be battling it out til the last few games of the season.

Utd have the best def in the world? thats an exaggeration.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

That was a joke hence the ";)".

I was only saying that to make the Fulham 3-1 sound even better, I thought that was obvious enough. Everyone knows it's Fulham who have the best defence in the world ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Fulham took a well deserved win yesterday tbh. They were quicker to react and deserved to win. No doubt about it.

Those were the first goals United conceeded at home this season, not a bad record tbh.
    The reason united are letting in more goals now is that teams are no lomger afraid of them.

Perhaps, or perhaps teams have improved while United don't seem to have as much strength in depth as they used to. They need another top class striker as we relying on Van the Man a lot. I know Man u score goals from everywhere but is till think thats what we are missing.
    A couple of seasons ago if a team went behind or if united equalised the opposition would just buckle, now the lesser teams feel they can always nab a goal against the opposition
    Perhaps but then again its football and in football anything can happen. Theres bound to be games that the top sides loose to 'lesser' teams.

yes i believe utd and arsenal and chelsea for that matter will all be able to pull back big points differences. liverpool dont have the consistency- i mean look at last season, all over the shop.

utd from the 90's on have never really lost their touch, theirs been a few blips, a couple of trophyless seasons but they've always come back. a few losses here and there are only to be expected, 6 or less in a season is fergie's target.

liverpool's next match is fulham away, i think fulham will prove it wasnt utd that were poor, they were just too good. fergie came out and said they could have scored 6 but for tim howard. he also said were very seldom as bad as that.

portsmouth at home next on the 1st, doubt if we'll lose that, then the pool after that on the 9th of november. wonder is forlan will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

We have a good defence. It can get better obviously. We need someone serious to challenge Ferdinands position to bring out the best in him i think. Hes still an excellent defender by all means.

We played **** and Fulham hammered us. End of. Bring on next week...

Well done Fulham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Fulham played well and deservered their win. Utd were poor to be honest, too many players rested like last year when we were losing matches, Still the gunners did not take full advantage today so its not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by smemon
    i think fulham will prove it wasnt utd that were poor, they were just too good. fergie came out and said they could have scored 6 but for tim howard. he also said were very seldom as bad as that.

Either you or Fergie have just contradicted yourselves in a most excellent way that only a Man Utd supporter could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Where is all that magnificent strength in depth that we have been hearing about from the start of the season ??

Fulham well deserved their win, they played exciting attacking footy and beat United fair and square.

Where is all that magnificent strength in depth that we have been hearing about from the start of the season ??

Utd dont bother displaying that until after Christmas. Playing to their full potential for half a season is usually enough for them to secure the title.:D

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Utd dont bother displaying that until after Christmas. Playing to their full potential for half a season is usually enough for them to secure the title.:D

Ohh please.... The United squad is thinly spread across the pitch at the moment and all it takes is a few injuries to take hold and there will be numerous more Fulhams queuing to up to play ye.

Tbh i thought Man u had a lot of strenth in depth but looking at it recently we really do miss it when the key players are out

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Tbh i thought Man u had a lot of strenth in depth but looking at it recently we really do miss it when the key players are out

I would tend to agree with you. While they easily have the best starting 11 of any club, but the back up for these players are not anywhere near the same quality.

When players like Phil Neville are playing in the centre of midfield, you gotta ask some questions. If buys such as Djemba Djemba, Klieberson et all were so good, they would be playing. Instead, a wing back is being played totally out of position. The same applies to some of the youth squad that are being played up at the moment, if there were that good, they would be playing to be honest.

When players like Phil Neville are playing in the centre of midfield, you gotta ask some questions.

Phil has played quite well in central midfield , I think he is adequte enough in this position to act as backup.
    If buys such as Djemba Djemba, Klieberson et all were so good,

Djemba is one for the future and needs time to setttle , klebeson is injured and needs time to seetle, he is alos the owner of a world cup winners medal so he can not be too bad, give him time. I remember when Ince went to Utd first it took him a few seasons to show his full potential,

Utd lose matches that on paper they shouldn't in the early part of every season. They really only step up a gear after christmas when they start puting a run together. hopefully this year wil be no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Adequate is not what United have built their success on, it has been excellence, Roy Keane being the prime example of same. Putting P Neville in centre midfield to play adequately while restin Scholes is just madness. If they had won it would have been a tactical masterstroke by Sir A, winning and resting some players at the same time, but when it comes back to bite him in the ass, United fans come out with "it's ok, we only start playing after christmas... ".

Funny that, I think I can see some of the very same united fans who slated Liverpool supporters for blindly following Houllier with their white sticks, toddling along behind Alec.

• Advertisement

Sigh yes but Man u have won the Premiership doing this exact same thing.

Phil Neville has been playing quite well in midfield of late. Kleberson played one game and admittatdly played ****e but still not enough to really gauge imo.
    Djemba Djemba has played ok but isn't up to the standard yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by The Muppet
    klebeson is injured and needs time to seetle, he is alos the owner of a world cup winners medal so he can not be too bad, give him time.

Gilberto Silva has a World Cup winner's medal and he's crap. And as for Frank Leboeuf....

Fulham totally outplayed Utd and deserved the win, however as has been correctly pointed out Utd always play their best football after Christmas so I wouldn't start calling for Ferguson's head just yet :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    We have a good defence. It can get better obviously. We need someone serious to challenge Ferdinands position to bring out the best in him i think. Hes still an excellent defender by all means.

We played **** and Fulham hammered us. End of. Bring on next week...

Well done Fulham.
    Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

What is the story with Ronaldo? Daniel Taylor in the guardian says that he was the worst player on the pitch
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,1527,1071585,00.html
    When he signed we were led to believe that he was going to be one of the best players in the world. Can he do anything other than stepovers. Denilson mkII. On his recent performances it looks like utd got ripped off to the tune of £12.25m. Should have gone for a real talent like Kaka' for half the price. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Ferdinand is guaranteed of his postition for a long time. He is the 1st choice CB therefore Ferguson would have to buy to very expensive defenders to give Ferdinand a fright which will never happen. They still haven't even replaced Beckham on the right.

Originally posted by Waster
    What is the story with Ronaldo? Daniel Taylor in the guardian says that he was the worst player on the pitch
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,1527,1071585,00.html
    When he signed we were led to believe that he was going to be one of the best players in the world. Can he do anything other than stepovers. Denilson mkII. On his recent performances it looks like utd got ripped off to the tune of £12.25m. Should have gone for a real talent like Kaka' for half the price. :D
    Time will tell if that is the case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Stats so far.
    Minutes played 471
    Goals 0
    Assists 0
    Yellow cards 2
    Red cards 0.

Last season for sporting lisbon in the portugese league.
    25 appearences
    3 goals

With becks and veron gone you've lost a few goals from midfield.
    This guy isn't going to get them for you. Now that scholes may be out for three weeks you could struggle to score unless Van Nistelroy scores or if he gets injured.

fergie is a legend and has the respect and full backing of all sane utd fans. he cant win every game, no1 can.

resting players cost us saturday but at least he's still prepared to put faith in youngsters and gamble, remember this is what made us the side we are today. it backfired i know, but losing sometimes gives people a kick up the backside and lets them know nothing can be taken for granted.

we lost to city last year and look how that effected the team. losing is ok so long as you learn from it. fergie and utd fans take it on the chin, because its rare, it doesnt happen every week. when we lose, everyone points the finger here and there, we just laugh at the end of the season.

fergie is a legend and has the respect and full backing of all sane utd fans. he cant win every game, no1 can.

Wenger thought he could:D

Fergie is the most sucessful manager of all time in english football. True Utd fans will never forget what he has done for the club and there is plenty more to come. The Job is his as long as he wants it wether we win or not.

And by the way, all that "the United defence is crap" stuff on here. That's B.S. United have the joint-best defensive record in the Premiership at the moment along with Birmingham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shorgan

my god there's some muppetry in here

Utd had the best defensive record in the prem last season

yes we lost 3-1 to a very good fulham side

arsenal drew 1-1 on sunday

our 2nd team beat the leeds 1st team on tues

oh yes and weren't we 10 pts down last Jan/Feb and still won the title, how many pts are we down at the mo?!

all this doom and gloom just cos we lost - get over it

wot ill say though is bellion should be starting ahead of forlan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Agree with everything else you have said but this...Forlan has worked his balls off the last couple of games and deserves a run. Plenty of time for Bellion to have his chance.

posted by shorgan

Having watched both in action against leeds i would agree that bellion should be given a chance in the first team. with ole out and forlan running hot and cold we need someone in there to give more attacking options

Advertisement