Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing 4-4-2 against a 4-3-3.

• 25-10-2003 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

This is driving me mad in my current game. I'm playing as Aston Villa in and three Premiership teams are using a 4-3-3. Blackburn, Notts Forest and Newcastle and it always rips my 4-4-2 apart.

In other games I've using my two full backs to man mark the two forwards pulling wide and put my central defenders on zonal marking and played down the wings. This always worked before.

For some reason it's stopped working I've tried zonaling everyone across the back four, man marking with three central defenders, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

dont play 442 :)

try a 4132 - get the dmc to mark the cf and the two dc to mark the other two strikers.

or 4321 - just pack the defence with 3 dmc right in front of the back four...direct passing and play straight down the centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Kaimera
    try a 4132 - get the dmc to mark the cf and the two dc to mark the other two strikers.
    That one could well have legs. Will give it a go. Cheers Kaimera!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lemme know how you got on

prolly should mention that I got destroyed by blackburn in the league cup 4-1 with the playing a 433 [duff on the top left..hat-trick :(] even against that 4132.

[btw..I was liverpool...]

Originally posted by Kaimera
    prolly should mention that I got destroyed by blackburn in the league cup 4-1 with the playing a 433 [duff on the top left..hat-trick :(] even against that 4132.
    It looks a bit buggy to me. I think they must have tweaked the formation in a patch or something. Before I used to utterly swamp it with the tactics above, it really was a case of "Deadly 4-3-3 easy win for me."

In the Aston Villa game, Blackburn (fucking Blackburn) won the league last season by a street, this season Newcastle are just destroying the division (18 Wins, 1 Draw, 0 Losses) and Notts Forest are pushing for Europe. All are playing the 4-3-3.

I think I didn't notice it before cos I was playing a game in the French leagues and nobody plays the formation there. Might be an EP5 thing.

I dunno it's driving me nuts though. Beaten home away by those three teams, putting paid to championship hopes this season after coming second last. Annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

eh.... why dont u use 4-3-3?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bbop
    eh.... why dont u use 4-3-3?
    Because I prefer 4-4-2 and I don't like responding to bugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You shouldn't use any tactic that is already in the game. Making your own tactic is one of the most important things in cm. playing with a 4-4-2 it will get cracked very quickly.

Originally posted by eireboy
    You shouldn't use any tactic that is already in the game. Making your own tactic is one of the most important things in cm. playing with a 4-4-2 it will get cracked very quickly.
    Rubbish. There's nothing wrong with a 4-4-2 and I've had plenty of success with it. You can change the focus of the formation very easily with individual player orders and I have never had a situtation in CM4 where any of my formations have been "cracked", I vary the 4-4-2 using team orders and arrows too much when facing various formations and teams.

I grew to dislike dicking around with 4-1-3-2 or 2-3-2-1-2 or whatever the piss in the other games, it's horshit pure and simple.

I don't always play 4-4-2 but whatever formation I use is generally adapted from the standard templates.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I find that the best formation to play when you are playing against either a 4-4-2 or a 5-3-2 side is 4-3-3 with the centre forward making runs back into attacking midfield and the centre midfielder making runs back into defensive midfield.

I beat Rangers 1-0 at Ibrox and drew with them at home with Dundalk with that formation. I beat Bohs 5-1, Cork City 6-0, and UCD 5-0.

It is a great formation to play when you have the right types of players.

But the key when playing 4-4-2 against a 4-3-3 team is as Kaimera said a defensive midfielder to pick up the extra attacker.

Advertisement