Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Win2k & Win98 via modem?

Options
  • 25-10-2003 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭

I have Windows 2000 on one machine, Win 98 on another. Is it possible to connect them via modem? I have the phone cable and I see an option to do so in Win2k, but what about Win98? Have no other cables - nor access to any for a while.

It is what it's.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It is technically possible - if you use blind dialing and setup a special circuit that provides 48Volts to trick the modems in to believing they are on a live line - and then you'll get 33.6K tops.

For the same amount of work you could build a serial cable to give you a 115K link. For a 9 Pin connector you need three wires. 2 & 3 crossed over and pin 5 straight through and use Xon/Xoff protocol (pin 7 instead of 5 if you have a 25 pin serial port)

In either case the network setup (the modems or serial cable would be treated as a network card by the OS) will be a pain - you could use hyperterminal - Just Look at the number of threads on linking 2K / 98 PC's.

You could buy a USB to USB cable in www.marx-computers.com network section (or was that komplett ) for about €30 - www.jaguarcompsys.ie do 10/100 Genius network cards for €7.95 + VAT ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

2 NICs with a crossover cable transfers fast enough for me. All you need to do is set up a ftp server on one and ftp into it from the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Use file sharing not FTP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: Fileshare
    If it works first time happy days :) - if not just count the number of threads on file sharing between 98/2K during the last two months and ALL of the steps involved and the mixed results of trying them..
    - and you will realise that FTP is just so much easier..

Advertisement