Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating Vcd's DVD's from Mpegs

Options
  • 25-10-2003 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I have spent the last few hours trying to create a disc that will play in a DVD player, using Mpegs.

I have downloaded a few programs like " Cheetah DVD Burner", " NERO ", and "SATIERA.

Tried to create DVD's, VCDS, Mini dvds, super vcd's.

None work, the dvd player keeps saying "no disc", i know it will play vcd's though.

Am i doing something completely stupid like using the wrong sort of blank cd's? they hold data and music btw.

Or is it something more techinical?

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong area, i have looked for somewhere to post it i promise.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Depending on the DVD player, you might just be able to burn a data CD with the mpeg file on it, play it straight from the player menu.

Are the files MPEG-1 or 2?

If they are MPEG-2 you must select Create Super VCD, not Standard VCD (In nero)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

http://www.doom9.net

Nice guides on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the dvd player may be the problem. it might check the disc to see what it is(dvd, vcd, audio etc.) and when it recognises a dvd(much finer track and different wavelength laser used to read) disc it kicks into dvd playing mode even though the disc itself is in vcd format. or your dvd writer might not be able to burn a mode2 dvd. the idea of an uber vcd that is many hours long is a nice one. could really clear up my piles of anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

jf_cole, i was gonna post exactly the same question!
    I want to burn a load of mpegs/create a vcd - Nero automatically reconfigures all mpegs that are not vcd compliant, which takes an hour (!) and then burns it.
    But the Cd stays blank!! My PC doesnt even read/recognize the cd, sez its blank. I suppose i could record a data cd, but why cant i record a vcd?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Download nero. The version i use (which is the one before v6 i think) has an option to create a vcd or svcd disk and will convert the mpeg if needed. Generally i'd say you'll get about 60mins on a cd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Originally posted by Ancient1
    jf_cole, i was gonna post exactly the same question!
    I want to burn a load of mpegs/create a vcd - Nero automatically reconfigures all mpegs that are not vcd compliant, which takes an hour (!) and then burns it.
    But the Cd stays blank!! My PC doesnt even read/recognize the cd, sez its blank. I suppose i could record a data cd, but why cant i record a vcd?

Hey, works for me...

I had Nero 5.9 and upgraded to 5.10 - works perfectly now.
    I was missing a codec of some sort...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Ancient1
    I had Nero 5.9 and upgraded to 5.10

You sure about that?

No, my mistake.

I meant 5.5.9 and now 5.5.10 with the upgrade package that i installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The problem may be due to the disk - my DVD player (which plays VCD's) will not play a VCD I create on a CD-R. It will, however, play one I create on a CD-RW.

As a quick test, put an audio CD into the DVD player , it should play fine. Then put in an audio CD you have created on CD-R (should not work). Now put in an Audio CD on a CD-RW and it should work. If it does, the CD-R is the problem. As 95% of pirated VCD's are on CD-R, this is a primitive form of copy protection.

Give that a go, burn the CD-RW as a VCD.

• Advertisement

cheers tom
    i dont have a DVD player, but when i do get one i hope i dont get the same problem.

Advertisement