Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I talk about Quake for a change, or Q3Test to be precise.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

theres a copy of UT floating around some where...bold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

no you cant.
    they'd have to re-make the whole game + maps.

more than the physics, its the maps and the weapons that make q1, sure winquake physics were totally different to qw and we still switched without much hassle.

after playing q2 recently, q2 is fun too, the map(THE map)is good once you get to know it, but they CAEMP THE BEA BEGS

no really, they do, they get smug an all you know

ok really really i actually preferred playing q2 duel to playing clan arena in q1 you know!! remember FFA was how quake1 got started, TEAMPLAY 0 (take note)

before anyone says anything about camping stuff i'd like to remind them that i LIKE quake1 Rocket Arena.

the single most important adjustment QW needs is removal of the 50ms prediction of movement for rockets, and increasing rocket speed to compensate.. maybe increase it to 1500pps from 1000

weapon change times in q3 are ok, weapon change times impacting the game has been blown wayy out of proportion.. it doesnt necessarily make the game worse, just different. I actually think weapon change times are good, it stops people trying to use axe scripts like some people do in QW.

and lastly,
    WELL SAID CREATIVE, we shouldnt switch games because its 'newer'... play the game you like most, not the ones that have the most corporate backing/advertising. i'd hate to see all q2'ers switch to q3, just as theyre beginning to get some real tactics for the levels, because the ones who switch will also switch from q3 to whatever comes next.. never actually getting good at any game.

I doubt the QW'ers will really switch because right now, q3 has got to be the inferior product (my opinion, my opinion..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Bullet

Q3 is G_A_Y (gluck *****yuk)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

saw a review of UT, **** review but its meant to be grrrrrrreeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaat and they said it was out NOW.

nothing will ever touch Quake1 tho, in 30 years time we'll all look back playing some ****e game and say to ourselves ... ahhh now quake - there was a game !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

UT according to my local shop does not arrive till Late Sept, despite seeing ad's saying it's out now. In fact my V3 board I bought (some months ago) was supposed to come with UT free, instead I got a CD with Unreal on it but the UT artwork on the CD and a money off voucher for when it arrives.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 25-08-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 GoatBoy

Fact is.. Q3Test is *HUGE* over here. We have 15 servers running team and duels and they are full 24/7. Comparing this TEST to the final shipping product is futile, (1.08 has far better and very different physics to 1.05) cos none knows what the GM will *feel* like. Saying QW is better than Q2, is better than Q3ATest, is like saying blue is better than red... just shutup and play the fu(kin game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Erm where is here?

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Ah, what a nice read, Thanx creative.

Lucutus of Borg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Let's face it JC was gonna get it wrong eventually. To be fair I think he's got so involved in the "cutting edge" that he has lost track of what we like in a game, what we consider important. I mean a good example is graphics. He's got his curves etc. but will we really care about curves when we're fighting. Graphics in my opinion are greatly appreciated when playing single mode. Think about it. A software company says they're gonna make the ultimate DM only game which is going to have fog, curved surfaces, reflecting...blah, blah. Are they the real priorities for the ultimate DM game.
    Anyway to Q3test. I'll admit Quake2 wasn't bad. I played in the first IQ2CL and enjoyed it but while Quake2 was o.k.,andd I lost interest really eventually, Q3test looks like it's really gonna **** off all of us. Creative wonders about teamplay. I sometimes wonder if they have heard of the term WAR at all. The slow rockets etc. in Q3 are a pain but they don't fully explain what bugs me. JC was at great pains to explain how the ideal was to equalise the difference between Frag Gods and Weeners. In the end it looks to me that the Frag Gods will remain well ahead of the Weeners. All they have to do is become JumpGods. Jump like a mad thing all around and you won't be hit too often. And what's that bull**** with the somersaults when you jump. Jesus had they nuthin better to do.
    Somebody, somewhere could make a packet if they released a modern looking game that played as fast and frantic as the original Quake. Someone please do this and put us all out of our misery. And ****** to equalisation.

M

[This message has been edited by musician (edited 25-08-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Leitrim?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

FACT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Goatboy is one of the old school CTFers. He moved to america a while ago and works in california somewhere. Aree wha GB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 GoatBoy

Hey Vonsta!... yup, working in the silicon mines out here in the valley...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Ah america, that explains it all biggrin.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

whats an FPS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

You're joking, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

UT R0x0rs.. wink.gif

either First Person Shooter or Frames Per Second *shrug*

Lucutus of Borg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

First Person Shooter
    or
    Frame Per Second (duh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

FFS lads. Quake3 is not the original Quake and there will never be another Quake. The reasons the Quake1 people are using for not liking Quake3 are as daft as the reasons they gave for not liking Quake2. The rockets are too slow, small splash damage radius bla bla. That's not what it's about. It's about your inflated egos. It's no fun because you can't own the other person with instant firing rockets on a map you spent months learning in a game you spent years playing.

And the Quake2 people don't like it is because it's too much like Quake1. Quake3 is not doing anything new apart from the graphics. Quake3 physics are very similar to Quake and most of the weapons you have seen before. It's still the same boring in-door, pick up a weapon and shoot the other guy game. Like I said, nothing new.

That doesn't mean it's going to be a failure. ID Software will make a killing licensing the graphics engine out to other companies. Plus there are people are who like playing different games. Only fanatics play the same game for over 6 years and still think no other game is better.

You gonna to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 26-08-99).]

• Advertisement

Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. will use the Q3A engine.

(Maybe I'm a fu(kin' fanatic?)

sunglasses.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

IMO Q3 is just the worst aspects of Q1 and Q2 combined with a nice new (but way too colourful) graphics engine. Ive heard of other games being described as bad, but never as 'gay' until Q3. Thats not to say that i agree with these sentiments... but i really do think that Q3 should be a lot better... maybe id would have done better to continue with the project they had originally planned after Q2 - Trinity.

Dont kill me - its just my opinions.

Asuka

Oh yeah, noted exceptions to my statement there about Q3 being the worst aspects of Q1 and Q2 are the a)rail gun and b)i cant actually think of anything else tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well said Chubby.

hey chubby didnt i own you totally on a 350 ping in q3 , like and i dont even play q3 right now so i didnt spend months learning the map either? score was 20 - 0 to the best of my knowledge.. he will deny this but you know its true

<cackle>

Take it Wing

/me proceeds to throw ****e on chubby's argument

bake it, add custard to it and fry an egg and place it in a saucepan

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 26-08-99).]

Ummmmmm... what has u beating chubby got to do with the validity of his argument koopa?

Please enlighten sunglasses.gif

Asuka

quote:
    "It's no fun because you can't own the other person"
    -chubby

quote:
    "It's not as much fun even when you CAN own the other person"

chubbys going to go mental when he reads this, cough cough

he's still in denial, and claims he "doesnt remember" playing this game

Ok, point taken

But he did have a few *good* arguments as well tongue.gif

Asuka

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Oh god Koopa, you referring to the game the other night where you won 4-3 because I killed myself twice? When did you beat me 20-0? And what does that got to do with anything except that you've been secretly training? Sure you tell people you don't play this but we all know this is just another excuse you'll throw at people when they start beating you because we've all heard the lame lag, dirty mouse etc excuses so many times already wink.gif.

You gonna to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 26-08-99).]

Advertisement