Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clone cd no longer sold

• 25-10-2003 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_cd/

according to the website due to new laws they cannot sell clone cd anymore . hmmm not looking good for ppl that want to backup there data easily

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Alcohol 120%

Never looked back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yip...Alcohol120%...the dogs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye i know about that one but clone cd has been around for years and once i started using it i always came to trust it . like alco still hasnt proved itsself to me yet . + i think that its sad that a company that was always trying to make it easier for ppl to backup there cds could get so much flack for it and then ppl changeing the laws just to get it off the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Welcome to international copyright law-enforcement, even if you're not breaking the "law".
    By rights replacement of your media should be free if you return the damaged disc.
    You're in effect paying for a licence to use the software when you buy the game. If the ability to use that license is tied to the sate of the medium it's not particularly fair to stop people backing up the data contained on the medium.
    It was advised in the manuals of many a software package that came onf floppy disc (remember the amiga?) because it was known the floppy wasn't the most reliable storage medium.
    Of course, that probably had more to do with the fact that floppies can be over-written, more than the fact that they were unreliable and could get damaged beyond use quite easily.
    Surely the delicate nature of CDs should require the same need to protect the original source emdium so that should some unfortunate mishap occur with the medium in day-to-day use, you can simply make another "usage" backup of the data and contiue using it, therebyensuring you get your money's worth from the license.
    Sor, bottom line:
    One thing that should be done to negate the legitimate "need" to backup the medium is to provide free replacement of the medium, the cost of supply (damn all for a single CD when you find AOL discs popping through your letter box and out of your cornflakes every day) being rather small for the publisher when the event of a disc needing replacement is quite nominal for the majority of copies sold.
    It would be one step further to cracking down on piracy.
    Of course, "they're" pushing online distribution methods, which limits the customer base to those with high-speed net access, access to credit cards (and the very real risks involed thereof) or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I always preferred ccd to cdrwin & nero :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

company slysoft has brought the rights for clonecd

http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Kaimera
    yip...Alcohol120%...the dogs :)
    for some reason vice city won't load my games properly if i have that installed:(
    might give it another go now that i'm done with vc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Try installing it without the CD drive emulator daemon

Advertisement