Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightening strike

• 26-10-2003 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I had my DSL modem and an Apple Airport Extreme wireless station fried by the lightening storm earlier in the week.

Just wondering how many other people have had similar trouble?

Comments

I had my pc fried and the phone blown up, but amazingly the DSL modem survived :)

It was shocking as I was on the pc at the time and the strike was directly overhead, so I had the smack of fire from the pc,the deafening noise of the thunder bang, the phone exploding and the fork of lightning all at the same time :eek:

I'd also heard that at least one of the isp's were over run with calls regarding fried modems.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

Glad I use a wireless router to access the internet, otherwise it would have been my computer that damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

My external 56k modem was fried on Wednesday via an Eircom phone line..
    She's now fit for the bin.. we've had some good times! *sniff*

It was plugged in by the serial port but didn't affect the pc.. I have wireless broadband which remians unaffected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

wow guys you really got unlucky last week, especially you Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Not as dramatic, but EVERY time lightening struck my i-stream connection de-synched. On queue, every time. Got very annoying but i guess i got lucky compared to some of you :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭narnar2000

Not as dramatic, but EVERY time lightening struck my i-stream connection de-synched. On queue, every time. Got very annoying but i guess i got lucky compared to some of you

...see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121345

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

*invests in surge protection*

Yikes that's some majorly bad luck you guys have had. I'm on the northside but I didn't have any problems, that I'm aware of. Might have reset my connection but I didn't notice.

Was in DCU most of the day and all was fine there except the lights in the computer labs would flicker slightly after some lightening strikes-as if the power was about to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

I remember thinking.. 'hmm, maybe I should take the phone line out of the router..., ah but whats the chances' !!!

After reading this thread I'll be definatly taking the line out of the router next time we have storms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

this is not as uncommon as you'd think - when i worked in Dell Tech support a few years ago we had to support the ennis information age town.

The town had a storm and pretty much every modem got blown up. Anyone remember this?

"i cant connect to the internet."

"ok, have a look at the back of your computer/modem."

"ok, im there."

"is it all black and melted?"

"yeah."

etc.

Advertisement