Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquarium lighting

• 26-10-2003 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

hey guys, we just got a new 120 ltr aquarium , we were advised to make it , clean the stones and when its all done leave it idle for about a week before putting any fish in it. I was just wondering, when the fish do go into it, does the light have to be left on constantly or can it be turned off at night.

ty,
    niall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

Right quick lesson on fish ...

1. your to leave it for 2 weeks to be safe
    2. bring in a sample of your water to the petshop and they will do a free nitrate test on it for you ... if your nitrates are wrong all your fish will just die
    3. the fish dont really need the light all it does is make them pritty for yourself, so when you get up put it on when u go to bed turn it off, if you left the light on 24 hours a day you would have a huge amount of algea growing and everything will turn green (also will happen if you put it in or beside a window)
    4. your to do 25% water change every 2 weeks and the main thing is put "stress coat" into the new water before you put it back in. basically chlorine in the water kills fish, this stuff gets rid of it.
    5. you can only put 5-6 fish in at a time cause your tank isnt mature enough
    6. feed fish twice a day, 2 minutes worth of food

i learned all this the hard way :) spent over 150 punt (at the time) on guppies and other weak fish and only came across one shop that really knows there stuff! duno am i allowed say it but its boardwalk pets on the quays there beside the millenium bridge there soon gona have a webpage up that will have care sheets on most common pets so when they do ill post a link up here

any other advise you need just ask cause i wish i had advice at the start

Advertisement