Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isdn ping query

Options
  • 26-10-2003 4:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

this one has been buggin me.
    Whats the lowest possible isdn ping ?
    i would have thought for small enough data rates isdn ping would be as low as dsl?
    doesn't seem to ever be tho.
    Anybody know is it possible to get a really low ping on isdn, even if its just packets of a few bytes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

yes it is, I had Indigo Isdn and an Asus internal Isdn modem. I used to get pings of 30/40 to Jolt in the Uk on 64k isdn. But as more people join the game, your ping goes up, which does not happen on Dsl

The type of Isdn modem you have does make a difference on isdn pings

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

yeah ando your right but what i mean is what is the lowest possible ping theoretically?
    the lowest ping i have ever seen on isdn was a few years ago to buyandsell isp. the first hop was only 20ms i think it was.
    unfortuantely buyandsell dont supply the service anymore. think utv route the buyandsell service now and its much higher for ping.
    i have never heard of anybody getting a really low isdn ping to _any_ server. like say ping of <16ms. which u can get with dsl and other digital connections.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

when i got isdn first i got ingame ping of 18 to one of the irish cs servers during a 1v1 with cs beta 7.1. Lately i can get nothing near it, best i can get is about ping of 40 nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Gerry

This is an interesting question. It looks like the theoretical round trip time for a 64 byte packet ( say a ping ) on 64k isdn would be 15.6ms. Its not unusual to see real world times of 20ms for the first hop, but you always have to go more than one hop to get somewhere. I don't know why the times scale up rapidly after one hop.

As far as I can remember, both the client and server in quakeworld try and send each other an update on every frame. So if we take one side, sending to the server, with a rate of say 6000, thats 6000/72 is 83 bytes, a little more than a ping. Round trip should then be around the 20ms mark. I think its possible that isdn drops in efficiency when sending and receiving simulaneously.

Advertisement