Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disaster - useful tip

Options
  • 26-10-2003 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Last night, I somehow managed to snap off one corner of my P4 HS retainer while removing the zalman brackets. :eek: They usually pop off quite easily with a little pressure in the right direction but I was watching TV at the same time and phuqed up :(

Top right corner of bracket:
    261003_13s.jpg

My heart froze, it's Saturday night, bank holiday weekend so no PC until Tuesday??? :eek:
    In desperation I tried superglue on the bracket but I knew before I tried that it wouldn't work...

I pulled out the mobo and figured I could make a wire bracket from a coathanger that would clamp under the existing bracket.
    261003_19s.jpg

The broken corner has chips very near it, so there's no room for a wire to pass under. I had to remove the bracket and rotate it 180 degrees so the broken corner was over a clear area of mobo. I put a piece of insulating tape on the mobo just in case.
    261003_21s.jpg

I refitted the heatsink and the clip mod works fine, it could probably take a lot more pressure than the plastic clips :)

Anyway, I'm so delighted to have my PC back up and runing cool so quickly that I thought I'd share it with the world :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

You may not be finished with that board yet ... There are 4 little loops holding down that blue fan on the northbridge, on my MB one of the little fúckers came off (and no, you cant just use a different one instead) .... I had to use a paperclip (got a plastic covered one, just the right size) ... keep an eye on them...

But fair play with the fix, hope it dosent come out :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

fair play lads. some good rescues!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hmmm where have i seen this post before??

that's right overclockers.co.uk

nice save btw

Advertisement