Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what was the max you have ever exceeded the limit with eircom?

• 26-10-2003 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

topic says it all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

40mb :D

I keep a VERY close eye on the DSL stats page, but seeing as everyone is saying eircom wont actually charge people for going over i think i may be a bit more daring....say, 41mb this month! :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

19gigs last month, 25gigs so far this month...

But... I have the uncapped 1MBit line :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

1 GB in August and didn't get charged for it. I usually keep it around 2.5Gb -3 Gb a month which is plenty for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by muffen
    19gigs last month, 25gigs so far this month...

But... I have the uncapped 1MBit line :)
    So you're just showing off then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Went over by 1.7GB back in February, not billed for it. Been a good chap since. I'm normally about 35-40% of the limit with the exception of September when I hit 93% of the limit!:eek:

• Advertisement

So you're just showing off then?

Not sure you can call paying 204 a month for a crappy 1MBit line showing off.. but yeah :)

I just remembered that there was someone on this forum that exceeded the limit by like 75gigs. He posted a screenshot of the stats. You should be able to find the thread if you search a little.

I don't remember what happened in the end though...

The stats page has had technical difficulties that have resulted in completly inacurate results for some people. These problems have only been resolved this month and November is supposed to be the first month where the stats are accurate for everyone.

The stats page has had technical difficulties that have resulted in completly inacurate results for some people. These problems have only been resolved this month and November is supposed to be the first month where the stats are accurate for everyone.

Interesting. Once Eircom has sorted out the stats problem, they may start charging for exceeding the DL limit.

Well, I'm sure they'll be posts about it here if/when it happens.

For a full description of the issue from the eircom engineer who works on the stats page see the following thread (in case you missed it before!):

Have a look at this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Lots and lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I went over by about almost 4 gigs recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

8 gigs over last month and currently over by 13 this month. But my stats are definitely screwed up for this month. No charge as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

oh so i wont get charged for dloadin 11gigs this month ?

as im pretty sure its all a mistake by eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭mobby

I am suppose to have Downloaded 999mb for the Mth of September, Thing is I was only switched on last Thursday 24/10
    Someone work that one out............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by mobby
    I am suppose to have Downloaded 999mb for the Mth of September, Thing is I was only switched on last Thursday 24/10
    Someone work that one out............

heh, 999mb in 3 days is uncomfortably easy to do ... I'm not with Eircom, but using bittorrent I have taken down 2.5gigs in the last two days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

30G total in August, 89G in Sept and 85G so far this month.

Plus 4.2G since this morning:p

God bless the man that invented DC++!

30G total in August, 89G in Sept and 85G so far this month.

What will you do if they charge you? You know there is a limit, you also know there is a potential charge, and that Eircom could apply it any time they wanted. On DL of 89gigs, it would cost you something like 2500 euros if they actually charged you.

If you want to DL that much, why don't you switch to an uncapped service? I wouldn't want to be you when that bill comes.

I can add that I'm on an uncapped 1Mbit line, and I have yet to exceed 30gigs DL, and we are 3 ppl charing the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I probably go over one or two gigs a month, but I think I'll go all-out crazy for these last few days of October.

And to cherrio; you are one risky bastard.

Originally posted by muffen
    What will you do if they charge you? You know there is a limit, you also know there is a potential charge, and that Eircom could apply it any time they wanted. On DL of 89gigs, it would cost you something like 2500 euros if they actually charged you.

If you want to DL that much, why don't you switch to an uncapped service? I wouldn't want to be you when that bill comes.

I can add that I'm on an uncapped 1Mbit line, and I have yet to exceed 30gigs DL, and we are 3 ppl charing the connection.

I actually upgraded to the uncapped in Sept, I was constantly hitting +25G a month (I was on the 1Mbit/10G option) so upgraded. It says uncapped and I am damn sure I am going to get my moneys worth, seeing its costing me an arm and a leg (€204 a month).

My computer has hardly been turned off since upgrading. Current download stat for October has now reached: 94G :D

To sligltly change the topic, how big of an impact has BB had on your life?

I know I could never go back to 56K Hell! I would move apartments if I had to keep BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you had a decent 512kb connection, it's not at all hard to d/l 3gb a day if you have plenty of stuff to get.

half a dozen movies and a few MP3 albums wouldn't be too hard. all your favourite TV shows?

If you want to keep it legit (of course you do:)) what about downloading linux while you're at it. redhat 9 can be downloaded from their website as 3x700mb cd images. then you've got all the windows and office updates, PSP and trials of all the best new s/w. how about all the good previews from www.apple.com/trailers?

it can all go very quickly. I'm amazed more people (even legit users) don't go waay over thier caps every month. caps suck.

btw, back in my days of living in tenerife with an uncapped 512kbps line I was pulling down about 50-60gb per month, and unless it was anything particuarly good it ended up getting deleted after I got my use of whatever it was because I only had a 40gb HD at the time.

of course I didn't have a full time job (was looking after me granny) at the time, so that might explain some of it, and there isn't an english cinema on the island, so that covers some more, but.

oh well.

do I win?

not really as it wasn't a capped service. did I mention caps suck?

I'm hoping IBB get their second merrion sq. mast up and running soon, so I won't (hopefully) need LOS for the wireless BB service(I'm 100m the wrong side of the existing mast). fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

yea caps suck! eircom sucks!

and broadband had a huge impact on me, there is no way i'm going back to 56, and yea i'd move to the other to get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by vibe666

If you want to keep it legit [/url]

GAH SHUT SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

staying legit wont put you over your cap unless you insist on downloading Linux ISO's, deleting them and downloading them all over again.

Warez and mp3 and movies. Thats what puts people well over the cap. full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Dustaz
    staying legit wont put you over your cap unless you insist on downloading Linux ISO's, deleting them and downloading them all over again.
    You're forgetting about all the demos and patches that people need to download too (at least 50 times) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

as a movie fan, gamer and all round geek I could very easily and legitimately download over 10gb a month without breaking a sweat, and not just to prove a point either.

formally I used an uncapped ADSL service for a considerable amount of time, and dodgy downloads aside, I got lots of use from it including streaming video and audio on a regular basis.

IMHO anyone using less than 4gb a month with a 512kbps line is a complete waste of time and they might as well be using 56k. IMHO of course.

You're on crack, and you have never heard of livestreaming audio/video, have you?

Seriously, 4 gigs?? Do you know how easy it is to pass that.
    Install 3 old games in one month and you've got 2 - 3 gigs in patches (try installing Everquest, and then UT2003, and DL all bonuspacks and patches).

Add some internet radio to it, and you're past the limit. I think I use 2gigs a month just for streaming audio/video. If you like trance, you just have to listen to www.di.fm. Best radio I've heard!

Anyways, point being, people use the internet differently, and 4gigs is a stupid ass limit which, for some of us, can be reached legitimately without trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'm beta testing a streaming game system. Basically you buffer up to about 500megs to your hd, then as you play the rest of the game/program transfers to your hd as you need it. This eats up download caps. meaning anyone on a cap can't use this service when it goes live in a few months. In one month of testing you could use up to 20 gigs on 2-3 things.

EDIT: you do have to pay for this, it is fully legal.

computer hasn't been off in 96 hours, dowloaded over 23.71G via DC++ and another couple Gigs via bittorrent.

Eircom tell me I have downloaded 117139M (~ 114G) so far this month (yippy I reached my target of 110G!:p )

Any one want to give me a large capacity HD?:D

Advertisement