Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie one: What is the procedure to sell an used car?

Options
  • 26-10-2003 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

Sorry if the question sounds silly:

What is the procedure here in Ireland to sell a used car, private owner to private owner?

How do you transfer the ownership? Whay about the insurances(s), coucil tax, etc.

I'm a non-Irish national living here since a couple of years. This is my first experience in selling a used car..

Thanks,
    Butch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's quite easy really.

On the back of your Vehicle Licensing Cert there's a form that you fill in. You sign it, the new guy signs it and the deal is done. Just phone up your insurance company and tell them as well. I'm not sure what you mean by council tax though. If you mean the car tax (paid to the co. council), that transfers with the vehicle.

Corrections/additions anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Butch

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've just taken a look to the registration certificate, and indeed it looks very simple.
    Originally posted by sceptre
    It's quite easy really.
    I'm not sure what you mean by council tax though. If you mean the car tax (paid to the co. council), that transfers with the vehicle.

Yes, I mean the car tax. Two questions though:

1. When you say "it transfers with the vehicle" do you mean I can't claim back the unused period (let's say, I paid 1 year in advance and sold the car with 9 months to go...)

2. Does it make any difference if I "transfer" the car tax from oun county to anoter (live in Clare, sell the car to a guy in Tipp...)

Thanks again,
    Butch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Butch
    1. When you say "it transfers with the vehicle" do you mean I can't claim back the unused period (let's say, I paid 1 year in advance and sold the car with 9 months to go...)

Correct. You do not receive a refund.
    Originally posted by Butch
    2. Does it make any difference if I "transfer" the car tax from oun county to anoter (live in Clare, sell the car to a guy in Tipp...)

No difference. When he comes to pay the tax next year, he will pay it to the Council in the new County (Tipp in your example)

One point, when you hand over the car, you leave the NCT Cert and the Motor Tax disc go with it. But you must retain the Insurance disc (for return to the insurance company)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

You should have two separate forms. Both have a section for the transfer of ownership. The instructions are on the form.

Not sure though what happens if you've an old logbook. I've only ever sold a car that was manufactured after 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

You can use the Vehicle Licensing Certificate to transfer ownership for any vehicle registered after 01/01/93 or an older vehicle that was imported after this date.

If you are doing this, you send it to the Vehicle Registration Unit (the address is on the back of the VLC). However, if the tax is due for renewal as well, your local Motor tax Office can actually change it (provided you are taxing it too).

If you have a vehicle registered prior to 01/01/93, ask your local Motor Tax Office to send you out an "RF200" form. Both the owner and the buyer fills this out and then send it, with the log book (the brown cardboard "tax book") to the local Motor tax Office of the present owner. Or you can call in yourself and they'll change the ownership on the spot.

Hope this helps,
    Tommy.

If you are selling a car registered on or after January 1st 1993 to a motor trader you must complete form RF105 which you obtain from the Motor Dealer. Can anybody tell me who's responsibility is it to return this form to the Department of Environment ? Does the Motor Trade do it or does the responsibility rest with me as the seller?

If you are selling a car registered on or after January 1st 1993 to a motor trader you must complete form RF105 which you obtain from the Motor Dealer. Can anybody tell me who's responsibility is it to return this form to the Department of Environment ? Does the Motor Trade do it or does the responsibility rest with me as the seller?

I'm pretty sure its always the responsibility of the seller to make sure the change of ownership is done properly regardless of it being sold privately or to a motor dealer.

Even if it wasn't, I'd do it anyway, if I were you. That way you can be sure that the vehicle has been transferred out of your name and you won't be getting any parking tickets or speeding fines when the next owner doesn't bother his arse with putting it into his name (Apparently, it happens alot).

Hope this helps,
    Tommy.

Thats exactly what was on my mind. What leaves me with a doubt is that none of the websites that deal with the RF-105 (Oasis, County Councils etc) make it clear.

I'm selling a car shortly and the "trader" who is purchasing it couldn't be trusted to land on the ground if he was thrown off the top of a tall building.......

I want to know where I stand before he gives me 57 reasons for not leaving me to return the thing. He has already said to me on the phone that "All you need to do is sign the back of the Vehicle Licensing Cert and I'll look after all the other ould paperwork"

I wonder if anybody out there has a copy of one of those forms..... is it written on it who should return it?

Thats exactly what was on my mind. What leaves me with a doubt is that none of the websites that deal with the RF-105 (Oasis, County Councils etc) make it clear.

I'm selling a car shortly and the "trader" who is purchasing it couldn't be trusted to land on the ground if he was thrown off the top of a tall building.......

I want to know where I stand before he gives me 57 reasons for not leaving me to return the thing. He has already said to me on the phone that "All you need to do is sign the back of the Vehicle Licensing Cert and I'll look after all the other ould paperwork"

I wonder if anybody out there has a copy of one of those forms..... is it written on it who should return it?

Ask him for his garage code to see if he's for real. I think every legitimate motor dealer is supposed to have one. I don't think they're private because he has to write it on the RF105.

The Oasis Portal says:

"If you sell your vehicle to a motor dealer, you have to complete a form RF 105, which is available from the motor dealer. The completed form should be returned to the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of Environment and Local Government, while the Vehicle Licensing Certificate and Vehicle Registration Certificates are given to the motor dealer".

That doesn't make it exactly clear either but you should ask your Motor Tax Office to send you an RF105 to check it yourself (or just ask them directly). They keep a stock of them to supply to Motor Dealers. I know that your name remains on the VLC but the vehicle is (supposed to be) changed into the garage's name on the National Vehicle & Driver File. When the garage sells it on to another person, then the VLC is changed into their (the other persons) name.

(Also, I do know that you DON'T actually need the Vehicle REGISTRATION Certificate (VRC)- just the VLC. Give it if you have it but, if you don't, then don't worry - it's really only akin to a 'birth cetrtificate' for the vehicle and is only of use the first time it is being taxed. Other than that, its pretty useless - last I heard, plans were afoot to relace both the VLC and VRC with a single document. About bloody time, I think!).

Even if you do have to give it to him, you could check with the Motor Tax Office a week or two later to see if the change has been done. They won't tell you any names involved but will confirm whether or not your name is the current registered owner or not.

If it hasn't been change after an unreasonable length of time, there are ways to cover yourself against any problems (I don't know what they are but the M.T.O. will tell you).

Hope this helps,
    Tommy.

P.S. - I know what you mean about things not being made clear. It's very annoying but I think the blame lies more with the Dept. of Transport (and, previously, Dept. of Envir. & Local Govt.) rather than Oasis or the County Councils. They don't actually have ANY control over what documents and instructions they operate under - they have to slavishly follow all the rules and regulations set down from the Department. I used to be a right b****x to Motor Tax Office staff before I realised this. So be nice to them - it's *not* their fault :) One of my closest friends works in one now so be extra nice or else! . . . :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement