Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIDDEN AND DANGEROUS 2 - Wow,There goes my life

Options
  • 26-10-2003 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

3 years is a long time to wait for a game and I just about gave up on this one but man,
    It was well and truly worth every second.
    I loved Hidden and Dangerous 1, admittedly the buggiest game I ever played but it was great in concept and the atmosphere was spot on.
    Hidden and Dangerous 2 is world of its own though, Im only on the first mission still and it keeps blowing me away- its not so much the graphics but the AI which is brilliant.
    Most of the time - enemies and friends exactly like they should it any givin different situations.
    The animation is scarily human all the time.
    Hiding in a room and having a Nazi silently creep around the corner gets the blood pumping big time.
    The music is great and the level design is about as non linear as you can get- this aint medal of honour.There are many ways you can play the game (I just play as FPS)and it has deep stats it you into that sort of thing- Lots of RPG elements here.
    I sense a lot of very late nights on the horizon.
    100% recommended and if you even only remotely into this kinda game, give it a bash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

the first one is free now,

goto www.filemirrors.com and search for hddeluxe

:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yes it is a superb game,ive written a small review on my dod clan and server hosts site.

http://www.jarhedz.com/viewtopic.php?p=24254#24254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I don't like it.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by logic1
    I don't like it.

.logic.

It can be the first time, try rubbing some butter on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Absolutely loved H&D 1. Must give the second one a go. Can it be networked across two pcs using null modem cable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I just have to chime in and say the game is consistant, all the way through. Im about 3/4 way through and so far, its been absolutely great! No low spots at all.

I play as FPS and switch to tactical to set up ambushes and the like. Im also playing on hard.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

how much did you pay and where?

must get it...

must also dig out H&D from somewhere...the original bug infested version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Something like €42 in Game with the Game Reward card.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I bought my first GFX card to play the first one.

Bought this at the weekend even though I am in the middle of a house move and won't be able to play it for about a month !

I paid 39.99 for it in Gamesworld, Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

going to pick it up once i get back from my holidays in a few weeks, was going to buy it but need money for going to oz and im trying to give up my impulse buying :p

i also loved the first one and am glad to hear that the 2nd one is sounding fantastic, really looking forward to getting it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Finally, after 14 months of anxiety of the delivery date slipping and slipping, there is was on the top shelf at Games… I didn’t believe my eyes. In fact I had given up on it every becoming a reality.

After all this wait, was it worth it… was it going to give me H&D and “Devils Ridge” suspense and allot more… the answer is definitely yes!

I was worried that all of the ‘other’ WW II shooters I’ve played since (MOH, RTCW, DoD, BF1942) would affect the intensity… remember that wow factor when you picked up that first Stg 44 (MP 44) on the boat level… or when one of your guys covered your ass as you ran across the open…

So what’s so great…

The inventory options with the back pack is superb. You can even give non controllable characters other weapons (like in the first mission I have the down pilot my ‘spare’ MP40 to give him a little fire power).

The commanding of troops as a team or as individuals is superb (I especially like the ‘move there’ command – this opens up a whole new immediate approach to the game)

The skills of the soldiers increase – which is why after a few missions you start caring about your stars them even more and only sending certain soldiers up for cannon fodder.

I love the way the moved back to the original H&D style where you look down the weapon (Devils Ridge use a cross hair approach with the gun somewhere below – just didn’t feel as real).

The impact of hitting an enemy depending on the velocity of the gun is an amazing touch (I know, a grotesque thing to get exited about but then the game is about shooting).

To force enemy soldiers into giving up is brilliant – and then you get to take the uniform.

Oh, an the tactical screen is great too but I never really licked playing it that way… so I can’t really judge how cool it is..

Keep in mind, for all of your ‘shoot em up fans, i.e. RTCW, MOH, etc.’… this one is may not be for you… the action is very slow and allot of time going into preparing the ambush (remember it 4 of you against what ever it is they throw at you and every shot counts)… for all those that loved the game and forgave it its hideous bugs… GET IT!

If anyone else got it let me know your comments.

I haven’t tried it on-line yet but it has such a suspense and superb AI it probably will take from it rather than add… but I dunno that yet…

The Duke : ))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

totally accept that... this is a very long winded game involving allot of running and sneaking where a single overlooked rifle man can cause pain and havock... but that is exactly why I find it so invoving as it is so very real...

give it another shot and practice the commanding... remember that at times your guys will shoot better on AI than if you control them... if after another attempt it still doesn't bring it back and change it for something with more action... also, try other levels (I think there are some cheats to jump levels) - I agreed, I hate snowy forrest levels myself.

This game is a sort of mix between Strategy Game and FPS (and I like both genres).

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Merging threads makes me feel sexy inside.

brillaint game.

got it going on my laptop in college..not the best thing with midterms going on around :eek:

graphically class...and the wee touches like nazis surrendering...*thumbs up*

driving the jeep in the first Africa level quite fun!

and the next in the desert....lol. spent an hour running from planes after i flipped the jeep!
    bring bazooka on africa levels..and LOADS of ammo! bren gun is handy! oh..and something to hit planes with

better than the original

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

If you were very skilled with the 1st game dose the 2nd fit like a glove or do i need to relearn??

nah..tis piss easy to get the hang of :)

number pad is used to give orders so tis easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Originally posted by juno75

Most of the time - enemies and friends exactly like they should it any givin different situations.

Hmm I am seeing exact where position they are coming of from yes!

???

I played the first one YONKS back and can't remember much about it bar the fact that I liked it. That feeling stayed with me so I'm just wondering now what the new one is like! What's it about etc

Ry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

Its a better version that the original, otherwise their very very alike.

BTW is anyone else having trouble blowing up the tanks in the night africa mission at the oasis where you defending. I hit one dead on 6 time and it was fine. i also ran in front and around another one and it made no attempt to shoot at me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

im glad that most of u like it because im getting it for my borther for his birthday/christmas. He liked the first 1 so id say he'll like this.

Originally posted by Falgorn
    Its a better version that the original, otherwise their very very alike.

BTW is anyone else having trouble blowing up the tanks in the night africa mission at the oasis where you defending. I hit one dead on 6 time and it was fine. i also ran in front and around another one and it made no attempt to shoot at me!!

just blow up the one to the front of the oasis. mission over.
    hit it dead on from the side.

Advertisement