Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL faster or slower than dialup?

Options
  • 26-10-2003 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hi

I read that there is a contention ratio of 48:1 on DSL in Ireland does this mean that the stated 512K download speed is been shared between 48 people. If this is the case then the 10 fold increase from a 56k dialup connection is potentially been divided by 48 giving a net 5 fold decrease. Please tell me im wrong.

Regards
    Clearz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

You're wrong.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

how about speak english!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Technically you're almost right, but in practice it doesnt work the way you think it would. Have a search for 'contention' on this forum, theres been a number of threads dealing with it. Also remember that your modem connection is also contended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

how about speak english!!!

I understood what he meant, even though it was wrong :)

Just as an FYI, your comment isn't written very well, so maybe you shouldn't complain about his comment.

Anyways, 512 / 48 = 10,67.
    Hence, if one ADSL line (512) was shared between 48 people, everyone would get 10.67Kb. This is assuming that everyone is using it, and the bandwidth is shared perfectly. This would give you a five fold DECREASE in speed compared to a 56Kbit modem.

Now, the 48:1 contention ratio isn't done per 48 users, but done for everyone using the service combined. For Eircom, I don't think its noticable at all right now, they need wayyy more customers before you can notice it at all.
    Furthermore, everyone using ADSL and being online at the same time maxing their line is highely unlikely, especially with a 4gig DL cap in place. Therefore, I don't think you should worry about it at all (unless you have netsource, cause they blame all their problems on the contention ration).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

afaik esat and the like but contention of every 2mb pipe. its all worked out on probability, what the changes your using 100% of your banwidth at 100% of the time, pretty slim, unless your a complete bandwidth whore;.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by clearz
    I read that there is a contention ratio of 48:1 on DSL in Ireland does this mean that the stated 512K download speed is been shared between 48 people. If this is the case then the 10 fold increase from a 56k dialup connection is potentially been divided by 48 giving a net 5 fold decrease. Please tell me im wrong.
    This will only happen if all the users are downloading at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

On a fully loadaed ( max users of 192 with average usage patterns ) RADSL pipe you should find the service about the same as 2 channel IDSN , i.e about 128k on, average.

Advertisement