Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovery disks v. Windows on CDs

Options
  • 26-10-2003 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Got a new computer recently with XP pre-installed on it. However, I did not get the Windows CDs with it in case I ever want to re-install it - instead I got a recovery CD. The idea is that you can make back ups of your system, burn them on CD and use these along with the recovery disk to restore your system if something goes wrong. However, I also want to install linux on my computer as well and I imagine it would be better to have the actual windows software on CD to do this, not the recovery disks.

Has this happened to anybody else?
    Isn't it a wee bit dishonest (not illegal though:() not to give you the actual software you've paid for on CD?
    Most importantly, should I waste my time phoning my computer manufacturer's help-line and trying to get them to send me windows CDs(I already have a licence for XP, after all)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

With my old Packard Bell laptop all I got was a hidden backup partition on the HDD and a recovery floppy diskette. There was supposed to be an option to remove the hidden partition and burn the data to a set of cds. However my laptop didn't have an inbuilt CD writer or the specific software necessary to do so. There was supposed to be a download on the website, but I couldn't find it.

Whatever you do make some kind of backup ASAP. I decided to leave well enough alone until I finished my thesis and of course my hard drive died taking my copy of windows with it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

nothing wrong with the recovery disk.

it IS actually a windows install cd. stick it on and boot from cd...hey presto...windows install options.

I've had no probs with the recovery cd's with my pc. worked a charm the last two fdisks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

nothing wrong with the recovery disk. it IS actually a windows install cd. stick it on and boot from cd...hey presto...windows install options

Mine's different though, on its own the recovery CD is useless, you also have to have 2 back up CDs made - I'm not sure of the following but say:

I install suse linux on my CD first (have to do it this way afaik as it dosen't recognise the winxp file system and will write over it).

THen make another partition for windows, install windows in it with recovery disk and the 2 Cds - will this work? I'm not 100% sure if it would because the CDs would have a mirror image of my system as it was when they were made on them, I'm not certain you can change any of the settings because of this(to take into account the fact that windows will now have less space on hard drive available to it and so on).

Well, I'm just guessing here, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

You should have Windows installed first - unless it's an ancient version of SuSE linux you have, it will recognise the windows partition (even if it's ntfs). So just set up your linux partitions first with something like Partition Magic, and you don't have to reinstall XP (unless you want to do it as a clean up), just go ahead and install linux.

It should then set up lilo to give you an option to boot either linux or windows, whereas if you install Windows second, it will more than likely re-write the boot record so it will always boot straight into windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

This is actually part of M$'s anti-piracy policy in action. I gather you got your PC from an OEM (Dell etc)? They're no longer obliged to provide the full OS on CD, just enough files for a recovery.

There's something that goes "You have the right (license) to use the software (operating system), not to own it."

It is a crap policy though. Don't forget to make yourself an Emergency Repair Disk. Before you do something silly. Trust me.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Hmm, I got a proper OS disk with my current Dell laptop-or at least I think it is a proper one...

You should have Windows installed first - unless it's an ancient version of SuSE linux you have, it will recognise the windows partition (even if it's ntfs). So just set up your linux partitions first with something like Partition Magic, and you don't have to reinstall XP (unless you want to do it as a clean up), just go ahead and install linux.

Yeah, I will have to get a newer version of linux. Thanks for that info. My main worry though is what if, at some time in the future, I need to have the "proper" Windows CDs? Can anyone think of a situation where that could happen?

It's just that if i get back to the manufacturer in a years' time about this, I'll probably be told to get lost.

I gather you got your PC from an OEM (Dell etc)?

From Packard Bell.

This is actually part of M$'s anti-piracy policy in action.

Yes but i hate the way they are trying to brainwash ppl with this one computer, one operating system idea. Eventually, I hope to be able to do everything I want on my PC without Windows at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by sunbeam
    Hmm, I got a proper OS disk with my current Dell laptop-or at least I think it is a proper one...
    OK, Dell was a bad example 'cos they chose to give the customer the proper OS install disk, but you get the idea :)

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: Isn't it a wee bit dishonest (not illegal though) not to give you the actual software you've paid for on CD?

LETS GET IT STRAIGHT - YOU DID NOT PAY FOR THE SOFTWARE.
    All you paid for was to be allowed use it according to their terms and conditions - read the EULA.txt file (if you can find it :) )
    Because it is a LICENSE, laws about goods & services and all the guff about merchantable quality just don't apply...

I can remember when you were lucky to get a sheet of labels with Win95 pre-installed (you had to buy the floppies yourself) if you don't order the CD version - and if your Windows died before you made the floppies.. I can also remember that for one version of FDD based 95 - Disk 10 was invariablilly corrupt...

Windows 95 Setup - Data Error reading disk 34... :(

Oh yeah - a lot of the OEM branded Install CD's get snotty - eg: some Dell CD's actually check to see if you are installing it on a Dell.

Oh yeah - a lot of the OEM branded Install CD's get snotty - eg: some Dell CD's actually check to see if you are installing it on a Dell.

Yes. I'm only supposed to install Windows on a Packard Bell computer, don't even know if it would work on another brand.
    RE: Isn't it a wee bit dishonest (not illegal though) not to give you the actual software you've paid for on CD? LETS GET IT STRAIGHT - YOU DID NOT PAY FOR THE SOFTWARE.

Yeah, what I meant is if I have a licence to use this software and if I get a new, non-Packard Bell computer next year, why should I not be able to install windows on my new computer as long as I delete it from my present computer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by simu
    Yeah, what I meant is if I have a licence to use this software and if I get a new, non-Packard Bell computer next year, why should I not be able to install windows on my new computer as long as I delete it from my present computer?

Technically an OEM licence applies to the computer with which it is bought (yeah, I know I don't agree with the idea either) so you're not allowed use your old OEM windows on your shiny new PC

(this is only for OEM copies, with a retail copy you could install it on your new PC but you 'd be getting a proper disc so it wouldn't be an issue)

Obvious solutions are Linux or the piracy route.

Advertisement