Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car & Insurance Questions

Options
  • 27-10-2003 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

The plan is to get a small car (1l and less) at the end of next summer - after a bit of saving.

I was hoping i'd be able to get insured as a named driver on the car, and put the mother or father down as main driver. Neither have claimed for year's - so, I presume, a decent NCB. They have two car's between them - Vectra 1.6 and 323F 1.6 (i think).

I was told the other day, that if my parent's had two cars, that they couldn't get me insured as a named driver on a third car.

Is this true, and are there any way's around it (apart from getting comprehensive insurance in my name)?.

If I have to resort to getting comprehensive insurance in my name, are there any companies I should quote first and trick's to get comprehensive insurance cheaper?

I will be 18 by the time I plan to get the car, have a provisional licence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Car must be registered in their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by conZ
    I was told the other day, that if my parent's had two cars, that they couldn't get me insured as a named driver on a third car.

Is this true, and are there any way's around it (apart from getting comprehensive insurance in my name)?
    I believe this is true. The rationale of course being that if daddy and mammy conz each have a car and they want a third one that their son will be a named driver on, it's pretty obvious to an idiot that the third car will probably be principally used by the son.

Getting a vehicle that is classified as a van would be one way around it as far as I know.

Comprehensive insurance for you on your own at 18 would probably be moderately less expensive than getting your own chauffeur.

I'll tell you what I'd do (or rather I'll tell you what my younger brother did). Get yourself as a named driver on one of the two existing cars, apply for your test, pass it, then think about your own car. I'm not trying to discourage you but you'd probably get your own Russian bride in the post cheaper than getting comprehensive insurance on your own car (I'm 28 and my insurance is TPF&T - it was the staggering figure of 2200 pounds at 25 before I passed my test (mind you the car was a 1.3 rather than a 1.0), a year later it was 1325 euros when I passed it).

Pass your test first. It's not that hard. You'll be doing your pocket an immense favour.

I'll now pass the baton to those who can tell you ways to fiddle the insurance companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by sceptre

Getting a vehicle that is classified as a van would be one way around it as far as I know.

Even thats not a given - a number of companies won't insure vans
    unless you are a bona fide business...get on your parents exisiting policy and pass the test (you know sceptre's right).

Mike.

Advertisement