Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angband and TOME.... anyone play these?

Options
  • 27-10-2003 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Angband and TOME, ADOM.... anyone play these? What do people think of Angband (http://www.thangorodrim.net/) ? It seems cool.

I have played ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery) quite a bit but the corruption bit tends to annoy me when I play it for a long time. Just recently started Angband... it looks quite further advanced. TOME (Tales of Middle Earth) seems like another good version (although seems slower). Anyone play these games. As I said I played ADOM quite a bit but I wish to try something new... hence Angband. It's similar to nethack but obviously more feature packed. The latest version is 3.03 for DOS/Windows/Mac/Amiga etc...

More interestingly, have you managed to finish these? ;o) ADOM is deliberately practically impossible while Angband... very tricky.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Ahh the old nethack, yea they're pretty good fun. We tried the multiplayer version of augband a while back, but it was something of a resource hog at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Naar

I have Angband installed, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I used to play ADOM until I encountered a show-stopping bug that wasted a week's playing. I think I'll wait for the next version before I start playing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thomas Biskup has not had time to update ADOM since nearly the beginning of the year to update the game. I think it's the best one there is. It keeps track of time, days etc. A fantasic skills tracking system and dozens of quests. The main question is typically 99.9% impossible and the corruption idea really sours long term playing. I like to role play in it but if only you could stop corruption so you could do other things in it. If you play to win, you usually become a squirming mass of Chaos near the end. And those remove corruption scrolls are sooo rare.

Angband seems nice. I like the dungeon rooms... bigger than one screen. Quite refreshing. A pile of work done on it by all accounts. Even some sounds are ripped from Doom. Remember the Sarge's scream and the marine death... ah well you can turn them off. lol.

How far did ye get into ADOM? I got about halfway before giving up as a Mage. It was fun finding out new secrets about the game but so much is hidden that you really do need to go to the newsgroups and get the necessary hint sheets and what to do on many things, ie you can't enter some quests beyond certain exp. levels etc. The hints on that are very thin and brief within the game. Once you play it though you get to like it more and more. The "bunny level" for one. One hell of a trick that one.

I never came close to finishing, really. I usually crapped out about halfway through the main dungeon. Normally, I played a Grey Elven Elementalist or a Troll Healer.

Since I find time scarce or just being lazy... I always stick to being a Mage or Archer.

What was it like being an Elementalist or a Troll Healer? Was the Troll character a nightmare? I know that Trolls need a *lot* of food and that I find ADOM very tricky when it comes to food... especially when many corpses can't be eaten because of certain effects etc. Not that I would eat a Kobold corpsr. Ugh! ;) Did you like the Troll role or did you wish you had magic?

I think I'll get into it again, but this time... no reloading.... see how short I last. :)

• Advertisement

The Troll Healer was fun because of the amazing rate of healing - what with the Troll's naturally fast healing, Healing skill, the Healer's bonus to healing rate and the Candle birthsign, it was really hard to put him down. You could eat pretty much anything organic, and I used to carry a lot of cooked lizards from the arena, since they give quite a lot of nutrition.

The Grey Elven Elementalist was tough starting off - I don't know how many times I died trying to get my fireproof blanket. Once over that hump, though, he was really fun.

I also tried a Mindcrafter once or twice, but I found it hard to get used to the powers.

Hmm. I must try the Troll and see how strong he can get. :)

Advertisement