Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What song would you like to hear at an indie disco?

Options
  • 27-10-2003 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Are there are any songs that your local indie DJ never plays but you reckon the dancefloor would rock if he/she did play them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

some pixies stuff that never gets played like 'ana', thats such an amazing song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the rapture - heaven
    afghan wigs - gentlemen
    franz ferdinand - tell her tonight

some interpol, and they will know us by the trail of dead, pretty girls make graves... anything but nirvana and the foo fighters and pearl jam anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stroller

Originally posted by Kali
    the rapture - heaven
    afghan wigs - gentlemen
    franz ferdinand - tell her tonight

some interpol, and they will know us by the trail of dead, pretty girls make graves... anything but nirvana and the foo fighters and pearl jam anyway.

Well I've been playing Franz Ferdinand, Interpol & The Rapture a fair bit recently but the reaction from the dancefloor hasn't been too encouraging. I won't play Pearl Jam simply because I don't like them but it's very rare that I'll get through a whole gig without getting at least a couple of requests for Nirvana and/or The Foo Fighters. And if someone requests something that I like I nearly always end up playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

aw where to start!!!!!!!!!!!??

ok, the best indie dancefloor stuff in the wide world has gotta be Stone Roses! Namely 'Waterfall' and 'I am the Resurrection' which most djs seem to play but i heard the guy in the odeon on fridays play 'Love Spreads' which was absolutely deadly and a real original choice!

'The only one I know' by the Charlatans is cool too or that other song they had -'one to another'

'Aisha' by Death in Vegas, 'F***in' in the bushes' from that crap album by Oasis! -it was in 'Snatch' so most people recognise it! "Lust for life' by Iggy Pop is fairly slick and fits in well after somethin like "last night' by the Strokes!

'dead leaves on the dirty ground' or 'hotel yorba' by white stripes is a welcome substitute to the rather overplayed '7 nation army'

'not if you were the last junkie on earth' by Dandy Warholes is great

'the sweater song' or 'hashpipe' by weezer are also class songs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Kali
    anything but nirvana and the foo fighters and pearl jam anyway.

Wow. They're considered indie now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet
    Stone Roses
    the Charlatans
    Death in Vegas
    Oasis
    Iggy Pop
    Dandy Warholes
    Weezer

All of these bands are major label artistes.

Indie died 13 years ago. If I hear "Love Spreads" or "Resurrection" or "Waterfall" one more time in a pub or club I'll go frickin nuts. If you do feel compelled to play another Stone Roses tune, please try picking an obscure one. What separates "indie" music from pop dross is that it's listeners are generally into albums, rather than singles, so will know and appreciate a less overwhlmingly played tune.

Please stop playing these bleedin' songs every bleedin week!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Originally posted by Doctor J
    What separates "indie" music from pop dross is that it's listeners are generally into albums, rather than singles, so will know and appreciate a less overwhlmingly played tune.

Nah, what seperates "indie" music from pop music is the listeners (read: pretentious c*nts) who waffle about how the bonus track on the latest Erratic Cabbages album, which consists of entirely of the lead singer hitting a stick against a cheese grater, is an iconic moment in twenty-first century music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Doctor J wether you like it or not Stone Roses, etc. etc. will always be indie and i'll always like to hear them at an indie disco. You need to set up a new music genre if you want to exclude older bands from Indie. -- If a song is indie, its indie for life --

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet

ok, the best indie dancefloor stuff in the wide world has gotta be Stone Roses! Namely 'Waterfall' and 'I am the Resurrection' which most djs seem to play but i heard the guy in the odeon on fridays play 'Love Spreads' which was absolutely deadly and a real original choice!

'The only one I know' by the Charlatans is cool too or that other song they had -'one to another'

'Aisha' by Death in Vegas, 'F***in' in the bushes' from that crap album by Oasis! -it was in 'Snatch' so most people recognise it! "Lust for life' by Iggy Pop is fairly slick and fits in well after somethin like "last night' by the Strokes!

'dead leaves on the dirty ground' or 'hotel yorba' by white stripes is a welcome substitute to the rather overplayed '7 nation army'

'not if you were the last junkie on earth' by Dandy Warholes is great

'the sweater song' or 'hashpipe' by weezer are also class songs!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Just off the top of my head I'd include Shed 7 "Disco Down"

Badly Drawn Boy - Take your pick really!!

The Walls "Bone Deep"

I can't really think of any more off the top of my head right now but this is something i'll come back to cos I've got loads!!

Just on a side note, has anybody seen the covers band "Hacienda That"?? The also go by the name "The Madchester Experience"

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by comet
    Doctor J wether you like it or not Stone Roses, etc. etc. will always be indie and i'll always like to hear them at an indie disco. You need to set up a new music genre if you want to exclude older bands from Indie. -- If a song is indie, its indie for life --

Don't get me wrong, I like hearing the Stone Roses, but last time I checked, they had released more than 3 decent songs. It would be nice if, rather than play the usual 3 overplayed Roses tunes, they played some different Roses songs... there's plenty of good ones to choose from.

There are very few real indie labels out there. Often bands who are classified as indie are signed to major labels and sucking the same corporate jizz cannon as the likes of Westlife, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

im still confused as to why people call indie a style of music ?
    so ill say it one last time, indie = short for independant
    any band/artist, be it rap, metal, punk etc etc etc signed to an independant label is and indie band.
    it always annoys me when i walk into hmv or wherever and they have an indie section, usually comprising soft rock guitar bands from major labels.
    but maybe im wrong, dont listen me...i stopped going with the times around '94, so what do i know ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I can't remember any body calling any music "indie" (the genre) since sometime around about 1995.

Is anybody really still using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Don't get me wrong, I like hearing the Stone Roses, but last time I checked, they had released more than 3 decent songs.
    news to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

Stiff little fingers, the clash and more old punky stuff and some Ska throw in for good measure

last time I went to an indie club they where playing loads of new metal or whatever it's called these days and thats just ****e as far as I can see. but that could be an age thing I supose

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

The Clash - Rock the Casbah

Stay away from the pixies. Everyone knows they suck, it's just nobody wants to be ostracised for saying it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You'd be surprised by the amount of bands who have said they wouldn't have been formed/continued if it wasn’t for the Pixies.

(And, no I’m not just making this up it was on a TV documentary about the Pixies, I’m just not 100% about what bands said it, because it was on late one night. Furthermore, I was not dreaming!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by monument
    You'd be surprised by the amount of bands who have said they wouldn't have been formed/continued if it wasn’t for the Pixies.

(And, no I’m not just making this up it was on a TV documentary about the Pixies, I’m just not 100% about what bands said it, because it was on late one night. Furthermore, I was not dreaming!)

twas called Gauge , Nirvana were influenced heavily by the pixies , as most rock bands since have been , They had david bowie on the documentry and Radiohead saying that they are just a band where as pixies are legends :) tis a good documentry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Never that big into the pixies myself I have to admit, apart from a few tracks "Here comes your man" and "Monkeys gone to heaven" which I'd be glad to hear at any indie disco, a classic from Bowie wouldn't go astray either.
    I think indie and certainly indie disco has just come to mean cool music for people who have an interest in music (mostly non-heavy guitar based music)

Advertisement