Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB wont stay active

• 27-10-2003 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

When I'm using the pc broadband is runing fine - if I leave it alone for about a half hour or so it seems to go to sleep - just the broadband as in stop retrieving mail, imesh and msn disconnect, if I run a ping it goes into a time out - BUT if I start using it again in 5 secs they all come back on.
    All sleep modes are disabled even the power managenment for the nics.
    My problem is I have 3 other pcs connected via a hub using the internet connection sharing and if my machine does this then they cant surf.

Am I alone on this problem ?

In the UK using NTL BTW.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

is the modem connecting to your computer through ethernet or usb? i had that problem on usb, and when i switched to ethernet it cleared up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭oneweb

You don't have Zonealarm installed by any chance? Could be the automatic lock. Make sure it's set to not lock automatically (ie - not when screensaver activates and not after a given time)

HTH

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Youve set the timeout on the modem to be something other than 0 (despite appearances 0 means do not disconnect). As it is now, after a certain amount of time the modem will disconnect and when you do some external network activity, it takes a short while to wake up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

m8 had the same hassle with USB/BBadapter connection, ethernet worked fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Using ethernet, no zonealarm thingy installed - apart from kicking the modem I cant set anything on it - or at least not that I know of.
    Any recomendations for looking at settings BigEejit ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by EvilGeorge
    Any recomendations for looking at settings BigEejit ??
    I dont know anything about cable modems, I thought that they had user customisable settings ... did your modem come with a install guide?, it might show what to do.. or you could try throwing your model number into google with timeout at the end to see if someone else has had the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Manual is useless - just your how to install BB stuff.
    Got the model no. and found it in google but manufacturers ain't giving anything away - cheers for your help , I'll figure out somthing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Advertisement