Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books by N. Stephenson besides Cryptonomicon.

Options
  • 27-10-2003 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Neal Stephenson has written other books besides Cryptonomicon but they don't seem to stock them in any book stores. Why not?

If they're any way near as good as Cryptonomicon, they'd make a great read!

Why is this? Has anybody here read other books by Stephnson? What are they like?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What book shops you going to? Any decent one in Dublin that I've looked at has other books by him! Seen "The Diamond Age" and "Snow Crash" for example in Hodges Figgis and more probably. Dunno which to buy next - I loved the way Stephenson would go off on a sidetrack for 2 or so pages in his books on topics as diverse as the functioning of monitors to the cultural history of facial hair :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well if you enjoyed Cryptonomicon you'll definitely like Snow Crash, which is a good a cyberpunk book as you'll find anywhere. Zodiac is enjoyable to a point, if a bit preachy about the environment and The Diamond Age is an interesting diversion for Stephenson, although I can see why some people didn't like it as much as some of his other books.

I'm surprised that you're having trouble finding Stephenson's books, they're always available in the main book shops in Dublin, and Forbidden Planet on the quays is bound to stock them. If you're outside Dublin I know his books are available on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

His new book "Quicksilver" came out last week. It's massive too - and I'm seriously looking forward to getting my teeth into it.
    Snowcrash and the Diamond Age are both excellent (IMO).
    See Hodges for his books - that's where I got Quicksilver.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I've read pretty much everything by this chap, and I think the Diamond Age is the finest book he's ever written ... huge 'whoa!' factor there.

Make the effort and dig out the titles, they're worth it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

diamond age and snowcrash are indeed brilliant! you shouldn't have any problem finding them in the bigger bookstores in dublin. don't know about down the country. i bought mine off amazon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Yeh, just fininshed qucksilver, It was a great read ...now have to wait till april for the next one.

I found snow crash in a second hand bookshop, but i had to get o mahonys to order The Diamond age for me.

He has a few articles published online too, "In the beginning was the command line" and a short story called "Spew" are the only two i can remember at the moment
    I haven't read Zodiac yet.

He writes great stories, endings are not his forte imo, but the read is so entertaining you forgive him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Just starting Quicksilver now. I couldn't believe it when I walked into Hodges Figgis and there it was.

I've been itching to get my hands on his next books ever since I turned the final page of Cryptonomicon.

Oh and have a look at his site www.baroquecycle.com .

It's cool, he very politely tells you to leave him alone. Sweet.

Advertisement