Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double Standards?

• 27-10-2003 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Well, its been 2 days now and not a single post regarding the brawl in the Blackburn game.

This was a "proper" fight with actual punches thrown on the part of both Blackburn and Southampton players AS WELL as their managers having to be pulled apart.

Where is the outrage and indignation, labelling these people animals and calling the whole thing a disgrace?

Does these attidudes only apply when such a thing occurs when Man Utd and Arsenal are playing?

In my mind it confirms Wengers statements saying that Arsenal were on trial by media.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Arsenal are one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the league. Their actions are obviously going to be under the microscope than most other clubs. Combine that with it being the biggest game of the season thus far, against the biggest club in the country and their main oppositon...... Need I say more.

At that, in these forums, Liverpool, United and Arsenal seem to have the most following, thus will be featured more.

As for the Blackburn game, was it just not mentioned here or was it not in any of the media at all? If its a case where it was covered in the Media and just not here, whats your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well, its been 2 days now and not a single post regarding the brawl in the Blackburn game.

Why did you not start the thread 2 days ago then?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by The Muppet
    He didn't make a thread for the Arse-Utd game either...

Originally posted by kif

Lets get him :eek:

Damned CS fools trying too get into the soccer world...... n00b :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

It hasnt been extensivly covered in the media either.

I await the multiple charges.

• Advertisement

Well he started this one so he obviously has the ability.:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

No it hasnt been covered extensivly in the media because there is no great interest in Blackburn and Southampton, Man U and Aresenal deserve to be singles out as they are the 2 biggest clubs in England and therefore have wheather the like it or not a reponsibility to promote the game for its good. They both get the most rewards out of the media so they cant complain when they are scrutinised more.
    Its the same with the Rio Ferdinand affair, he is the most expensive player in apparently the worlds biggest club and therefore has to accept a far greater responsibility than lower league players and therefore he should get a 2 year ban because he gets the biggest rewards and doesnt want any of the responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Where is the outrage and indignation, labelling these people animals and calling the whole thing a disgrace?

Your right there should be. (if i'd seen the game like is aw the manu v arsenal game i woulda started one).

Man u and Arsenal may be 2 of the top clubs in the UK but Soton and Blackburn are in the top division with a large enough following each. They should also be punished according to their action. Arsenal could mount quite a convincing case if the FA dont clamp down on the players involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It happend during the game aswell. The arse scum were still going AFTER the whistle was blown.
    Anyway it looks like souness is in trouble for what he did AFTER the game asking your man for a fight. So shutup moaning

I wanted to see if people would redeem themselves. Which clearly they have not.

I am perfectly aware that more attention will be focused on the big teams. My point however, is that most of the the rhetoric in the media (and posted here) was total overreaction.

As b-k says, if the FA dont apply at least the same amount of charges, i think both arsenal and united have a good case for getting their players charges dismissed.

(oh btw jesus, my first post here was when it was simply 'Sport' in 2000, and yours? :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by Dustaz

As b-k says, if the FA dont apply at least the same amount of charges, i think both arsenal and united have a good case for getting their players charges dismissed.

Arsenal have pleaded guilty on all counts so they have no chance of having their cases dismissed, all that's left for the FA is to decide the punisment.

United have contested the charges against Giggs and Ronaldo.

The charges won't be dismissed and I expect that the FA will charge BB/S'ton in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by jongore
    United have contested the charges against Giggs and Ronaldo.

The charges won't be dismissed...
    I think they have a good chance of clearing their charges as they hardly did a thing wrong and they were charged to keep Wenger happy.

(oh btw jesus, my first post here was when it was simply 'Sport' in 2000, and yours? :) )

Ah now, dont go taking me seriously... All fun and games, only a n00b could get soo upset by such a thing..

Blackburns and Southamptons incident will be punished by the FA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

what a great thread!!

typical of utd supporters to just dismiss it and look and say i dont care cause their not a big club and utd is and blah blah blah!!!

andy cole seemed to be giving boxing leassons to the southampton and most of ye dont give a ****e
    while parlour pushes horseface and most of ye want points 10 deducted from arsenal. (i can dig out the thread if you want me to)

what a load of ****e. and ye call yourselfs football fans

yes arsenals actions were out of order but the media and blew it all out of proportion and most of ye plastic football fans jumped on the bandwaggon. like old biddy's talking over the garden fence bitching about all thats wrong with the world or in this case football

where's the media's and fans call for blackburn to get points deducted for last weekend's incedent???!?

well?? where is it
    oh sorry their not big clubs
    they only play in one of the biggest leagues in the world!!

oh pathetic!!

Originally posted by jank
    plasctic football fans

WTF??????????????????????????????

typical of utd supporters to just dismiss it and look and say i dont care cause their not a big club and utd is and blah blah blah!!!
    And what was i doing then?

I havent seen a single person dismiss them.
    Try reading the posts and then try reading them again without the obvious hatred for man u and their fans. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

damn...missed a good ole punch-up.

haven't read a paper in weeks or seen the news to know any soccer news

Originally posted by B-K-DzR

I havent seen a single person dismiss them.

The point is that the media HAS dismissed the whole thing. There is noone calling for points to be deducted (I personally dont think that points should be deducted for either incident) and neither is anyone shouting DISGRACE from the rooftops.

The reason is this: The blackburn incident WASNT a disgrace. This type of thing happens. All the time. Now compare it to the arsenal -v- manu incident which was far LESS serious and you start to get a bit of real perspective on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i never knew anything about this, didnt read or hear anything either! the blackburn match wasnt on sky and covered across the world in front of millions of people, i think that has something to do with it too.

any incidents involving big clubs are magnified which is to be expected i suppose. will be interesting to see what the fa do, if utd and arsenal players got banned and fined, surely blackbrn and sthampton will get heavier punishments.

The Blackburn incident happened during the game , what happened at arsenal/utd happened after the game had ended. both incidents are unacceptable but there is difffernce between two players throwing a few digs at each other during a game and a group of players attacking 1 player after the final whistle. The Arsenal board have accepted that their players are guilty of all charges relating to that incident and they will be punished accordingly though it does look like campbell and cole and heskey will get off for the turkey /england tunnel punchup . Notice there were no united players involved there either

• Advertisement

The Blackburn incident happened during the game , what happened at arsenal/utd happened after the game had ended. both incidents are unacceptable but there is difffernce between two players throwing a few digs at each other during a game and a group of players attacking 1 player after the final whistle. The Arsenal board have accepted that their players are guilty of all charges relating to that incident and they will be punished accordingly though it does look like campbell and cole and heskey will get off for the turkey /england tunnel punchup . Notice there were no united players involved there either

This is exactly what im talking about. Notice how the excitable pundits/bandwagoners/trolls use words like "unacceptable" when this sort of thing occurs all the time. Also, look at how you have relegated a case of intended bodily harm to "a few digs" and promoted a push to "attack". I suppose Alpay "Assaulted" beckham with a lethal finger? Now, youre quite obviously a troll but there is a huge percentage of people that just take for granted what Sky tells them (eg Smenmon didnt know about the southampton thing because it wasnt on sky).

Im actually aghast that feeling seems to be that the southampton incident should somehow be upgraded to a major travesty rather than the arsenal one be regarded for what it was: childish handbags.

BTW, Your last statement quite clearly infers thats there were no united players involved in arsenal-manu incident when there quite clearly was. Get back under your bridge muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

HEAR HEAR!
    someone without their head shoved far up their rectum.

again muppet u out do yourself

and eh obviously you didnt see graham souness after the full time whistle!!
    the man had to be phyiscally draged away by security/blackburn offical cause he wanted a fight and was about to cause a riot!!!

but muppet you didnt see it cause your head is so far up your ass!!

it amazes me that so many people put there didnt even hear of this incident

just goes to show how powerfull the media is and how they can control a story
    just think to apaly.
    Sky is to blame for his sacking and if you say he attacked beckham with his leathal finger then you really are on some drugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I am not condoning Graeme Souness's actions but the Southampton assistant who he was rowing with used to be Souness's assistant and he sacked him. Apparantly they were supposed to hate each other since they worked together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Originally posted by jank
    what a great thread!!

andy cole seemed to be giving boxing leassons to the southampton and most of ye dont give a ****e
    while parlour pushes horseface and most of ye want points 10 deducted from arsenal. (i can dig out the thread if you want me to)

what a load of ****e. and ye call yourselfs football fans

yes arsenals actions were out of order but the media and blew it all out of proportion and most of ye plastic football fans jumped on the bandwaggon. like old biddy's talking over the garden fence bitching about all thats wrong with the world or in this case football

And the souness incident is being looked into by the fa and no doubt he will face a touchline ban. You know that man used to be his number 2 yes ?

where's the media's and fans call for blackburn to get points deducted for last weekend's incedent???!?

well?? where is it
    oh sorry their not big clubs
    they only play in one of the biggest leagues in the world!!

oh pathetic!!

Yea Yea its a big media thing against Arsenal
    Look you muppet what or when have you seen AFTER the final whistle is blown players attacking and pushing each other in any sport ?
    because i know i havent, so for the way arsenal reacted after the game there players deserve bans

You know that dude who souness asked for a fight but never touched used to be his number two yes ? and also that the fa are looking into the videos of it and are waiting for the match report yes ?

Originally posted by RasTa
    Yea Yea its a big media thing against Arsenal

No, its a big media thing full stop. Arsenal and United just happen to be two very high profile teams. Blackburn and Southampton are not. It may have got more coverage if it was a monday night game and it happened on sky though.
    Look you muppet what or when have you seen AFTER the final whistle is blown players attacking and pushing each other in any sport ?

All the time?
    You know that dude who souness asked for a fight but never touched used to be his number two yes ? [/B]

What difference does that make?
    "yes you honour i cant stand him but i know him for ages, so i clocked him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

No, its a big media thing full stop. Arsenal and United just happen to be two very high profile teams. Blackburn and Southampton are not. It may have got more coverage if it was a monday night game and it happened on sky though.
    Does these attidudes only apply when such a thing occurs when Man Utd and Arsenal are playing?

In my mind it confirms Wengers statements saying that Arsenal were on trial by media.

Ask a question. And then answer it yourself. Nice troll*

*muppet

Jez the ABU,s, are getting very excited but i will ignore their childish taunts now back to the football.

Dustaz if you can not differentiate between actions taken in the heat of the moment during a game which sometimes can go too far and the unacceptable actions after the final whistle then theres no point continuing to argue with you. The board at arsenal obviously do as they have over ruled the manager and made the players plead guilty to ALL charges.

I dont know where you watch your football but its not in the prem where usuallly when the game is over players shake hands and walk off without incident.

Originally posted by Hobart
    Ask a question. And then answer it yourself. Nice troll*

Hobart, I suggest you buy yourself a dictionary and look up the phrase "rhetorical" question.

nice name calling too.

Themuppet, since you have no intention of answering any of my questions, then maybe its better you dont pose any of your own.

*muppet [/B][/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

I suggest you do the same. I thought a "rhetorical" question did not require an answer? Why did you give one then? Don't get all emotional on me either. I seen you troll before. It's just part of your nature. I'm sure me caling you a muppet didn,t even pierce that thick skin of yours. If it did. I apologise.

This is not an arsenal vs the world thread
    this is a thread on how the media can change and use incidents like these to thier advantage to sell papers and so on

and for all ye people who know so much and even saw what happened how many of ye are asking for points to be deducted

go on please answer cause yer all so knowledgeable and know so much more than me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

hardly anybody here is actually talking about the incident

and for all ye people who know so much and even saw what happened how many of ye are asking for points to be deducted

The comparisons between the 2 incidents are very slight. Many fans do not wish to see Arsenal deducted points but if they are they only have themselves to blame. Their players will have to learn how to behave themselves an if whatever action the FA take
    over their admitted violent behaviour charges leads to an improvement that will be for the good of football in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

have u ever read and TRULY UNDERSTOOD your sig there muppet?

really? u seem to digging a deeper and deeper hole as the thread goes on.

have u ever read and TRULY UNDERSTOOD your sig there muppet?

Yeah you dont have to SPELL it out for me after all it is my sig.:D

really? u seem to digging a deeper and deeper hole as the thread goes on.

Is it my fault if some can not take the truth :D

Now i await the User Name comment:rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah Dustaz just shut up, theres a HUGE difference. Everybody knows that once the final whistle is blown all heated emotions instantly disappear, so anything that happens on the other side of this imaginary barrier is simply planned thuggery. Unacceptable. Disgraceful. Shocking. Ban them.

:D:p 8) :D:D:p :eek: ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Quote: Dustaz
    Hobart, I suggest you buy yourself a dictionary and look up the phrase "rhetorical" question.

Quote: Hobart
    I suggest you do the same. I thought a "rhetorical" question did not require an answer?

Is that a rhetorical question then ??:D :D

Quote: Jank
    again muppet u out do yourself

and eh obviously you didnt see graham souness after the full time whistle!!
    the man had to be phyiscally draged away by security/blackburn offical cause he wanted a fight and was about to cause a riot!!!

Can someone translate please? :rolleyes:

but muppet you didnt see it cause your head is so far up your ass!!

Maybe he didn't see the match at all !! In all honesty who would bothered their ar*e watching Blackburn playing anymore ?? . . without Duffer ye are crap !!

That was a rhetorical question by the way.

Tinky

;););)

The comparisons between the 2 incidents are very slight.

Yes, one featured actual Violence and one didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I am not an Arsenal fan, I do believe however that there is a media vendetta of sorts against them. Perhaps not to the extent that Mr Wenger has said but still every time there is a chance to get the needle in (Not a Rio Ferdiand joke BTW) the press do it.

The press blew the actions in the United Arsenal game out of all proportions with words like Assault, Abhorration etc.. when they could easily have said "Girlie fighting" and "Where's me handbag" I do think that it was wrong but there was nobody punching at each other. The blackburn game has kinda been swept under the rug a bit. There is no huge media outcry calling for bannings and points deductions etc, just the odd "Down with that sort of thing" - "Careful Now". Even thought there were punches thrown and landed on both sides.

The only difference I can see is that one happened after the whistle and one before. After the whistle the referee is not in a position to sned somebody off but can give a recommendation to the FA, whereas during the game the ref can deal with it and if he thinks he dealt with it effectively then he may not put it in his match report and there will be less of a fuss.

Yes, one featured actual Violence and one didnt.

I assume you mean the arsenal/utd one didn,t feature actual violence which leads to the question why have their players pleaded guilty to the violent conduct charges?

Well Keown was violent. Giggs and Lauren got all hot and bothered as well. Can't remember the rest really...keep getting Keowns face in my head when i think of it. Not a pretty picture.

• Advertisement

I assume you mean the arsenal/utd one didn,t feature actual violence which leads to the question why have their players pleaded guilty to the violent conduct charges?

Maybe if you read anything other than Glory Glory Man United (Illustrated) you might understand why they pleased guilty. Didnt seem to work however.

Well Keown was violent

Where exactly on this planet did you grow up?

I dunno but hitting someone in the back of the head is violent tbh.

dont think it matters where u grow up. Hitting someone is known as violence. :p

like i said, im not sure where you grew up, but thats not 'hitting' someone in my books.

hit ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ht)
    v. hit, hit·ting, hits
    v. tr.

To come into contact with forcefully

Contact was made with some force (even if not that much).
    The FA believed he struck with intent to harm which is why he got the ban. Doesnt matter what you or i think.

like i said, im not sure where you grew up, but thats not 'hitting' someone in my books.

:confused: so by your thinking hitting someone on the back of the head is not reaaly like hitting someone?
    Maybe if you read anything other than Glory Glory Man United (Illustrated) you might understand why they pleased guilty.

I Don,t so would you care to enlighten me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

I think what Dustaz is getting at is the handbag nature of the so-called 'violence'. Anyone who has ever played rugby, hurling or football will tell you that being poked and slightly jostled hardly merits being called violence in fairness. I've seen worse in basketball which is a non-contact sport. We can get out the dictionaries and definitions and argue about before or after the whistle until the cows come home but at the end of the day, IMO its a mans game and this nonsense is lowering it. FFS go watch the combination rules this morning if you want to see some violence.

:confused: so by your thinking hitting someone on the back of the head is not reaaly like hitting someone?

Its not a punch.
    I Don,t so would you care to enlighten me.
    Didnt think so, it involves reading the news media that doesnt have Headlines like "Fergie says.." or "Rampant Reds!"
    Arsenal's problems, however, have undoubtedly been eased by their decision to plead guilty to all charges.

Wenger was apparently reluctant not to fight his players' corner, but his decision to back down and accept the charges has probably rescued Arsenal from mass suspensions.

Or to bring it down to fanzine level, the club hoped that by pleading guilty and showing penitence that they would recieve a lesser sentance.

I should point out that this didnt start out as an ABU thread and it didnt even start out as an "OMG TEH MEDIA HATE ARSENAL" thread. I was merely pointing out how the media can cause things to spiral out of all context.

Or to bring it down to fanzine level, the club hoped that by pleading guilty and showing penitence that they would recieve a lesser sentance.

Surely if as you claim there was no violence then the Arsenal players would have been cleared of all charges had they challenged them? How could they have got heftier penalties if they were innocent?

Surely if as you claim there was no violence then the Arsenal players would have been cleared of all charges had they challenged them? How could they have got heftier penalties if they were innocent?
    I think the FA are going to have to change their code of coduct charter to specify that violence can only occour where a punch, or a number of punches, have taken place, or are likely to take place. Otherwise It's just playful banter between rival sets of players and "they should remember where they have grown up". :rolleyes:

Advertisement