Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance cheaper for one car or two?

Options
  • 27-10-2003 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭

bit of a no brainer question put like that :)

Basically, I'm buying a new car soon. I'll probably buy privately and try to sell my own car later, so in order to be able to drive both cars, I need insurance on both. My current insurance isn't very expensive, so I wouldn't be too pushed about letting that run for a month or two while I dither about selling my old car. I plan on taking out a new policy for the new car. Insurance companies always ask when you're taking out a new policy if you have any other cars insured in your own name. If I take out a new policy on the new car, will it cause my premium to go up or down if I own a second car?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if you have a second car most companies will want you to have a second policy. With regard to your NCB, this only applies to one policy so in theory you could have 10 years claim free driving on policy A but 0 years on policy b :confused:
    Therefore I suspect that any increase from having no NCB may cancel out the decrease from not being able to drive this 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

That's a bit stupid isn't it? It's not like I'm going to divide myself in two like a giant amoeba, and the 'new me' won't know how to drive.

You could imagine an increase because if you own more than one car, odds are you're going to drive the least valuable of them that bit faster.

You could imagine a decrease because you're probably going to be doing relatively few miles in each car.

But logic never enters the world of insurance, does it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I've come across this situation before also....

case in point,
    I know a guy in his fifties - clean record - wanted to insure a second car (2.0L Ford automatic) -
    €2000 !

Advertisement