Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dvd drive will no longer read cds???:confused:

• 27-10-2003 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have a rather huge problem (at least it will be if i've to buy a new dvd drive), but all of a sudden, and I honestly can think of nothing that has changed on my computer that would have caused this, my dvd rom drive wont read any cd's. This isnt just when I'm booted into windows either, none of my bootable cds will boot when I switch the computer on (and yes it is set to boot from cd before hard drive), I also flashed the drive the other day in case that was it and still no change. I tried to open it up the other day also to try to physically clean the lens but the thing is wrapped up tighter than a nuns knickers. I have a cd drive lens cleaner and I have run it a couple of times in the hope that it works just as well on dvd drives too, but since thats on cd it no longer runs, and it had no effect anyway.

It got progressively worse and started out that it was very slow to read anything from a cd, now it reads nothing not even a music cd, or a bootable cd.

The way I'm thinking at the moment is to just buy a new one, but I'm not that well off that I will just buy a new one without exhausting a few other possibilities. All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The drive is showing up as an "_NEC DV-5700B" in a program called dvdinfo, and the windows device manager concurs other than that I can't think of any other information that might be helpful, but if you need more please ask.

Baz_

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

How long have you had the drive ?
    It sounds like it's knackered tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I've not even had it 2 years now, surely thats not too long?

Advertisement