Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to buy a laptop becoming a pain in the ass

• 28-10-2003 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Ive been trying to look for a Decent laptop.

Ive looked everywhere now at this stage, America.. germany..

My buget it around €1500 mark.

Now I can find a

15" (1400x1050, SXGA+) TFT Farbdisplay
    • ATI Radeon® M10 Grafikkarte mit 128MB Ram
    • Mobiler Intel® Pentium® IV Prozessor 2.66 GHz Hyperthreading
    mit Speedstep-Technologie
    • 512MB DDR-Ram
    • 40GB Festplatte
    • DVD-Writer Combodrive
    • 16 bit Soundsystem, SB-Pro-kompatibel
    • Stereo Speaker

Which is pritty good spec wise, and its €1499, problem its from germany and I havent a clue where to start to try and get it delivered to here.

THe other was in america same Spec pritty much same price, but Delivery and Tax's fecked it all up.

So now im left with Ireland or the UK, but I cant find a laptop anywhere with those kind of Price/Performance, no where is offering a laptop with the Radeon 9600 128ram in the UK and England, and if they are offering the Radeon 9600 its with 64ram, and its costing a good bit.

Basically does any one know where to get a decent laptop with good specs for around the €1500 mark.

PLEASE GOD :*(

Thanks,
    -Coz.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

http://www.multivision.co.uk/showdet.php?id=174

I don't know if they deliver t Ireland though. Seemed like the most decent laptop under €1500.

Specs:
    Solus 1030
    AMD Athlon XP Mobile 2500+ Processor
    512Mb PC2100 DDR SO DIMM
    60Gb 4,200rpm UDMA Hard Drive
    15inch LCD SXGA+ TFT Colour Display (1400X1050)
    64Mb ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 Graphics
    DVD Burner / CDRW Combo Drive
    Microsoft Windows XP Home
    2 Year UK Collect and Return Warranty
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭gimme

mmmmm nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

What's the problem with the German one? I've bought stuff from Germany before, better than the UK in my experience as it's all in Euros. You could try emailing the seller, a lot of Germans have perfect English! Of course if they simply don't deliver outside Germany you are out of luck.

There was a thread here where someone mentioned a Sony Vaio with similar spec for around your price. There were other suggestions on that thread also - do a search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

http://www.rockdirect.com/notebooks/quaddraxtpro2.htm

these are meant to be excellent -

Up to Intel® Mobile Pentium® 4 3.2GHz Processor - More info
    - Featuring Intel® SpeedStep Technology and Hyper-Threading Technology*
    Up to 1Gb DDR RAM
    Up to 80Gb Ultra DMA-100 Hard Drive
    15” SXGA+ TFT Screen (1400 x 1050 Res)
    128Mb ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro Graphics
    Built-In Video Camera
    6-in Card Reader
    DVD/CDRW Combo
    Sony Multi Format DVD Writer (Optional)
    Bluetooth Module (Optional)
    Firewire™, 3 x USB 2.0 & Serial Ports
    56k Modem & Gigabit LAN
    Ability Office
    Antivirus Software
    Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Carry Case
    3yr Collect & Return Warranty

check out there other ranges, quaddra dts, quaddra, pegasus dts, they would come in under ur price range leading from £1049 sterling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

have a look at the lidl laptop. Real nice graphics card + DVD burner

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118163

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Jezz that looks pritty decent.. How does the AMD 2500 compare with the Intel p4 range, what p4 would it equal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

I'm looking also for a laptop and I came across the new Sony (on the Japanese Website), they're using a "Giga Pocket Engine M", it is a TV tuner and a Mpeg2 hardware encoder... with the fact that this laptop (PCG-GRT77E) is provided with a DVD Burner, an infra red remote and Sony 16.1 LCD... neat!

Well it's going to cost at least 3000€ but maybe not, apparently you can get it for http://www.sonyshop.c-tec.co.jp/main/vaio/pcg-grt77ep.htm 279.500 Yens...2200 €!

More info, in Japanese but you can get some of it...
    http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/PCG-GRT77E/

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

well the multivision laptop has pretty much the exact same specs as the Lidl laptop. At the moment I'm using that Lidl laptop. AMD processor seems to be able to do whatever I need it to do. Visual Studio .NET runs well (demanding program). I played Max Payne 2 with it also. runs very well with all high details on. I also tested Unreal 2 which looked very impressive. the graphics card is very good, the large hard disk helps and the 512DDR Ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Damn it vortex just told me in an other post that the Lidl ones are gone.. damn it what im I going to do now.. Just when there looked to be an answer.. damn it anyways.. any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

check out this store: http://www.computeruniverse.net

it's german, they have an english version of the site, prices are in euros and pretty decent (better than rip-off ireland), shipping isn't so unreasonable. i've ordered from them before and had only good experience. even had to return an item and got a replacement promptly.

they offer 24 months warranty when most stores here offer 12 months (unless you pay extra). and in addition to that you have manufacturer's warranty which is in some cases 3 years.

Advertisement