Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Savoy Theatre- Campaign To Reopen

• 28-10-2003 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

THE THRILLS JAZZY JEFF

CHRISTY MOORE THE STUNNING

GOMEZ DIVINE COMEDY RUN DMC

SHANE MCGOWAN DAVID KITT RUBYHORSE

SUN RA ORCHESTRA JIMMY SOMMERVILLE

LEE SCRATCH PERRY TREVOR NELSON

PAUL OAKENFOLD MERCURY REV

WHEATUS PAUL OAKENFOLD ASLAN

MASTERS AT WORK FRANK & WALTERS

KERRI CHANDLER JOSH WINK JAM JUNIOR

Add 78 other live acts and 400 club nights and the link between them is that
    they have all played in the Savoy Theatre over the last 3 years.

If you would like to support the campaign to reopen the Savoy Theatre please

Text "REOPEN" followed by your name to 51500 (Standard text Rate)
    Or
    Send an email of support to enquiries@savytheatre.ie

REMEMBER that this is the only medium sized venue in the city and that these
    club and live acts would probably not have come to the city without it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

just heard on the news that it's reopening in 10 days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

The Echo had it front page news yesterday that they should be reopening soon............apparently they thought they had a theatre licence for serving drink but it was only a nightclub license, something like that.
    It would be a shame to see it close because as a concert venue i think its as good as anywhere I've been, Dublin included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I read they got closed because of complaints by Quills and the other shops that bands were warming up too early and disturbing shoppers as well as people queuing on the street blocking access to Quills.

• Advertisement

Bad news on the Savoy front, apparently they got that new Theatre Licence and were supposed to reopen last weekend with Jazzy Jeff, but they have failed to get a Liquor Licence. Looks like it won't be reopening at all now according to the Echo, apparently there is no means to appeal the Liquor Licence decision. 45 people loose their jobs and Cork loses its best live music venue (and it doesn't have many).

Bye by Savoy. It was a really good venue. What a big pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

do ye now why it closed down, well a buddie that works in there said they used be about 100 peeps stay after the club closed and drink on till about 4 or 5 but the gardes were told of this and raided em and the lost there lience and the same management cant open a pub or club again in ireland i think thats what he told meh.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Good riddance i say - might cut down on the amount of scumbags on Pana like the ones that attacked a mate of mine at the ATM near the Moderne clothes shop.

• Advertisement

Savoy attracted a good breed of patron. The real scumbags would never get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Originally posted by DukeDredd
    Good riddance i say - might cut down on the amount of scumbags on Pana like the ones that attacked a mate of mine at the ATM near the Moderne clothes shop.

Were they queuing for the Savoy or something? Are you sure they hadn't come from somewhere like the Pav (which is right around the corner from the Moderne I believe)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

The security in the Savoy were great (if a little annoying at Freakscene). Any night I've ever left the Savoy at closing, mebers of the Savoy's security staff were visible for a medium sized length of Patrick Street, doing the job the Gardai should have been doing.
    My last gig at the savoy was David Kitt in September and it was great. All avenues of appeal seem to be closed now... can't be long before some promoter or entrepreneur opens up another decent sized venue in cork surely.
    Sorry, forgot about McDowell there for three seconds.

For me the Opera House for concerts just doesn't cut it unless they take out the seats. The Frames and Paddy Casey are there this week, gigs that would surely have been on in the Savoy. The Frames as a sit down gig is crap and I won't be going. Its disappointing really to think of the gigs that will not be happening now the Savoy is gone. The Half Moon is putting on some good shows but we're missing out on the bigger bands who won't play smaller venues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement