Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Iol Modem Today But No Drivers

• 28-10-2003 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

Modem for IOL deleivered today, followed instructions to self install to the letter and ...... could not find a driver for modem. then did a manaul install and everything worked until it came to get driver, still no driver.

Rang IOL support and it is likely that the driver for WIN98SE is missing from the CD!!!!

A second disk is on its way but has anyone else had this problem and can I download driver from a website?

gbcullen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Go to www.Zyxel.com follow to support from the links on top. Select DSL CPE from product dropdown then Prestige 630-11 from the Model name. Then search. Then a 4.53 MB download will do it.

Cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Cal, thanks for reply, I had visitors today so could not play with new toy but frankly and I both amazed and totally puzzled.

The modem is for ADSL and IOL BB but I think u gathered that, however I am using WIN98SE from day one and when I rang IOL support I was not impressed with answers. Apparently if it was win 98 upgraded to se then modem would not work!! I had to repeat quite a few times that it was not an upgrade hence the new disc.

However, I initially tried to load software as per set up but it could not find driver. I then went to manual mode for win98e and it did everything except load a driver but I tired this twice and second I got a message found better etc do u want to upgrade and said yes same result, no driver found. Just now I downlaoded what u said but it is a massive file, extracted everything and pointed to that directory for driver and got nothing. Not only that but I noticed that the drive letters on my pc had been changed ie I have 2 hd's c, d, but these were now c, e. I have given up and uninstalled everything.

Where did I go wrong?

gb--

GBCULLEN

Are you in a position to cut your losses and start out with a fresh install? It will be the quickest and least frustrating route to take.

I got my IOLBB modem today also. But I'm running an ethernet modem on a router so I didn't need to install it.

Cal

cal

yes, i have uninstalled everything and downloaded that file from zyxel again but have been watching the footie until now. Have I done something wrong or is it a duff software disc?

I am a bit stumped for now so any help much appreciated.

gb--

I don't think the software or hardware supplied is duff. I think your setup may have issues. Your PC has problems that need sorting. What they are is impossible to say but a reinstall would sort loads.

Cal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What's happening exactly when you install the modem?
    Did you let Windows pick up the modem before searching for the drivers? If you did, try installing the drivers first and then plug in the modem.
    I've installed a few of those things on different operating systems, they can be weird during the install but tend to work pretty well once you install them.

Thanks for replies and I got it sorted so I am on BB as I type!!

I had to do loads of different things and in the end I am now not even sure what worked but here goes in case someone else gets the same. NB I had already downloaded drivers from zyxel site just in case and unzipped them to c drive

1. Uninstalled all the BB sofware, powered down pc, unplugged leads, then put usb in to pc then modem, connected telpehone cable.

2. This is the bit I think that sorted it,

a) put win98 cd in f drive and the modem cd in e drive/

3. Powered up pc and just followed the onscreen prompts.

4. The sofware searched everywhere for the drivers and all I had to do was point to correct drive for win98 at one stage.

5. Computer had to be re-started twice I think.

6. Everything came up as per the instructions, desktop shortcut, tray icon. But still no line enabling.

7. Rang IOL support and was told to just connect modem tel cable after leaving it out for about 30 mins. I did this waited a ew mins and away it went.

So I am bb enabled but I was getting worried as I had loaded lots of software in the past without too many glitches.

And today is my wedding anniversary so life is grand.

Is there a better USB MODEM than this one I have?

gbcullen

Originally posted by GBCULLEN
    Those ones do the job, imo.

thanks frank that was quick.

gb--

Yeah, lots of free time :)

• Advertisement

just like me then

gb--

:D It's nice when it all comes together.:D

Happy anniversary

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

Eh, yeah. IMHO, the modem IOL supplies is crap.

An ethernet ADSL modem would be much better most would agree.

The only bonus to the IOL one is that if it gets ****ed up IOL get to replace as you are just renting it technically.

Paul , well at least I am not dreaming as I did reads somewhere there was a better option, however can u expand on the" ethernet ADSL modem" bit. I thought a modem was a modem, basically the word ethernet has thrown me. Is it usb or PCI ?

Help?

gb---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

I have had no problems with the one supplied - getting super download speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

best one is the netopia cayman 3000 which is the one eircom supply with their setup. the reason they supply that one is that it is so easy to set up that they get very few tech support problems due to it not working (smart ba$t@rds eh?).

have set up a few myself and it couldn't be simpler.

before anyone asks: http://www.netopia.com/ :rolleyes:

great modem, easy to set up and has both a USB and an ethernet port on it so you can plug either 2 PC's in directly at the same time, or a PC and XBox for 'XBox Live' if you can be bothered or even have an XBox (twas being touted at the Ideal Homes/PC Live! thingy). Suppose PS online will be coming soon too, though.

Anyway, the netopia is your best bet if you have the choice, but I don't know if it would be worth signing your soul away to the rat to have one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

...can u expand on the" ethernet ADSL modem" bit. I thought a modem was a modem, basically the word ethernet has thrown me. Is it usb or PCI ?
    An Ethernet modem is neither USB or PCI. It plugs into a network card that would be fitted into a PCI slot in your computer. (Newer Dell's come with a network card integrated into the motherboard). A network card has a slot on it that looks like it is for a phone cable, except it's bigger.

can u expand on the" ethernet ADSL modem" bit. I thought a modem was a modem, basically the word ethernet has thrown me. Is it usb or PCI ?

Help?

Ethernet (or 802.3 to the 'technically minded') is a standard for wired computer networking. ie it is specifically designed to carry communications data - as compared to USB which was designed as a more user-friendly replacement to parallel ports for connecting printers, scanners, etc and PCI which was designed to allow the expansion of a computer's abilities thought the installation of hardware accelerators like video cards, tv tuners, network cards, etc (and so to replace the flawed ISA interface).

As some have noted, this means that PCI is a preresquite for ethernet (as you need a network card to connect the ethernet modem to - unless your motherboard integrates this function of course). But ethernet is certainly not PCI and definitly not USB.

Originally posted by manic_monster
    I have had no problems with the one supplied - getting super download speeds.

Most don't realise the limitations until they upgrade.

Paul

Thanks for the explanations. So will I need.

1. A PCI network card to go in a free pci slot, plus software.

2. An ethernet modem that is IOL BB compatible, plus software.

3. A cable from PCI to ethernet modem.

4. A cable from modem to wall socket( ie normal tel lead)

5 and power lead for modem.

When I had a trail of VDSL I was given a network card and this was left behind, genius GF100TXTRIII series, will this still work?

I want to get a laptop next year and use wireless so I am better off waiting and get a different set up? What will these items above cost and will I get faster speeds?

gbcullen

• Advertisement

Okay:

1: Yes but not the software (usually - drivers maybe for Win95/8)2: Yes but not the software (usually - drivers maybe for Win95/8)
    3: Yes and No: PCI is internal so no cable from PCI but one from the network card on the PCI
    4: Yup
    5: Newer ones don't need this.

The network card should work but i'd look into that more closely if i was you.

If you are planning to go wireless as in Irish Broadband just forget all about this but if you are planning just to set up a local/home wi-fi hub you will need all this and more. All this would cost circa €150. Will you get faster speeds depends - the modem is only a single factor.

thank you, u have got me thinking and no I am staying with IOL and lucky to have that, IBB maybe years away for now. I will do a bit of reading up before I spend any money.

gb--

Advertisement