Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

over rated bands.. list them

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

The Beatles and U2 over-rated!!!!
    now ye have just gone way too far. Ok so its hard to avoid the Beatles cos they're pushed down your throat so much and the the endless Anthologies, unseen footage, Let it Be naked etc. etc. but you have got to see beyond that and recognise the music is brilliant and has stood the test of time well so it would be hard to overrate them.
    Again with U2 if you have ever seen them live then you'll know they deserve all the credit they get........they can live up to the hype, thats why they're great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

U2 best ofs are great, but their albums(especially the earlier ones) have boring songs on them, ones where you turn over to get to a good song, which i'm afraid qualifies them as being a bit over rated in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I would have to say The Revs - I saw them live and they try to immitate the rolling stones too much (I laughed my ass off when the singer swung his mic around, threw it into the air, then dropped it). Plus there music seems repetative and unimaginative. It's close to the same song/sound every time.

The Darkness are overrated as a band. As a form of entertainment though they're great. They're just a laugh but I wouldn't take their music in any way seriously.

I would have to disagree with a few people's points though. Metallica are overrated NOW, but before St.Anger they still put out some good stuff.

Coldplay - I love all of their stuff, past and present. And I expect to enjoy their future work if it's of the same quality as everything that's come before.

Radiohead - Oh come on. How can you say they're overrated? Most people just class them by their early work then when they put out something new they don't even give it a chance. They're a band who've evolved over time and through their music. There's nothing overrated about them. Still in my opinion one of the greatest bands in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    The White Stripes
    The Revs
    The Hives
    The Thrills
    The Strokes
    Coldplay
    David Gray

And just about every other prescribed pop group/artist parading as "Alternative" music.

one shouldnt judge music on what category its in. All these bands you have mentioned are genuine artists they write their own songs and play their own instruments. Good music is good music regardless of what category you like to put it into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

nirvana

and i disagree with those guys who said that every band that starts with "the" sucks
    thats just narrowminded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

U2-by far the most overated band i can think of.
    Damien Dempsey-Dublin rap?no thanks!
    The Revs-repetitive.
    The Thrills-boring and annoying.
    Nirvana-Totally inexplicable how they got to be so loved and famous.
    Oasis-Same applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by orangerooster
    U2-by far the most overated band i can think of.
    Damien Dempsey-Dublin rap?no thanks!
    The Revs-repetitive.
    The Thrills-boring and annoying.
    Nirvana-Totally inexplicable how they got to be so loved and famous.
    Oasis-Same applies.

I too would have to say U2.

They had had some good songs.

But - Over -rated?

IMO - Most Definiately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

What exactly does being Over Rated imply?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Originally posted by comet
    Ok so its hard to avoid the Beatles cos they're pushed down your throat so much

Again with U2 if you have ever seen them live then you'll know they deserve all the credit they get........they can live up to the hype, thats why they're great.

are you trying to say that U2 arent rammed down your throat?everytime they realease someting new or recycle a best of or relese a dvd ,i.e. i hear their releaseing a slane castle dvd with footage of thier 2 "memorable" gigs,sorry wat about your fans who bought the dvd of the SAME tours concert from Boston,i believe some will be stupid enough to buy it,while more will get it bought as a present for christmas.

i was at the slane concert and thoroughly enjoyed my day and they put on a fine show but im getting sick of bands flogging crap.

.............. but im getting sick of bands flogging crap.

I agree but does that have anything to do with a band being over-rated? I don't think so, i think its more to do with being over exploiting by their record labels marketing department.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

damien rice
    paddy casey
    david gray
    etc
    etc
    (and basically all other singer/songwriters who for sum reason are "hot" at the moment)
    the thrills
    the strokes

Originally posted by comet
    I agree but does that have anything to do with a band being over-rated? I don't think so, i think its more to do with being over exploiting by their record labels marketing department.

agreed but it gives them more exposure in the mainstream media as in flogged to death by 2fm etc for a few weeks describing them as THEE GREEAAATEESSSTT BANNNNND IIINNN THEE WOOORRRLLLDDD yada yada yada.
    my opinion/view of overrated is crap being shoved down your throat by the above sort of djs etc and every eejit that listens to their show saying oh yeah did you hear what do you macall-it clue2 or u2 watever you called them has a new dvd of that concert they did at dublin castle,i was at that gig myself.....am i getting a bit carried away here?

gucci: Yeah fair enough, but thats the price a good band have to pay i suppose. If the music's good then the dj's will shove it down your throat, does that make the band become over-rated, maybe. To avoid all this some people speciallise in being into unknown music, that no ones heard of just so they can be "cool" and not be in the mainstream, thats sad too.

dont get me wrong i listen to mainstream and lesser known stuff,generally i just listen too what i like and yes some of that is on reccommendation of forms of media and stuff from friends,i listen to what i like,but i detest being told what i should like continously by toss bags,ie most of 2fm

Advertisement