Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to increase the bandwidth with IOLBB?

• 28-10-2003 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

I'm moving into a new apartment with a friend shortly and we'd both like to use broadband. We're ok paying for it, but I'm just 3 months into a new IOLBB contract, and don't know if I could maybe cancel that one and sign up for a 1Mb line or something similar.

I know Eircom offer connections like these, I just don't know if they'll fit them in homes, or if Esat can do the same thing.

Anybody any experience with this?

Thanks,

Si.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dunno if they have a reseidential product that does 1mb. Fairly sure you would need full ADSL. If you want to stay with Esat you would need to be on on of their 40 exchanges and it will cost you an arm and a leg. (Business product for any 1mb service)

I don't know about the contract but you would have o pay installation etc again. (no home install on ADSL, at least with ESAT)

Hope this is somewhat helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

Okay, I don't know where B-K-DzR is getting his fact and figures but let me set a few things straight.

EsatBT has a 1mbps broadband service.
    Yes, it is a business. No, they do not have any problem installing it in homes. (After all they are targeting the self-employed, farmers, executives with home offices, etc as well)
    It will not cost you an arm and a leg - EsatBT is in fact the cheapest of all the 1mbps services. (see the sticky post)

They might ask you to pay the installation charge again but i'd give 9 to 1 odds that they will waive it if you make it clear that you are an existing customer (and maybe threaten to go to eircom - that always helps!)

Eircom (aka the evil ones) will also install in homes.

Okay, I don't know where B-K-DzR is getting his fact and figures but let me set a few things straight
    From the forms they sent me ;)

As i said yes they have a 1mb broadband service and no i know they dont have any problem installing it to residential custoemrs(they installed it for me after all), ss long as you pay a deposit of about €130. You get this back after 12 months or so.

Yes its the cheapest 1mb broadband product around but it will still cost you an arm and a leg (iirc about €190 a month for 1mb)

Installation is about €120ish. I doubt they'll waive it as they gotta set u up again totally at the exchange. Engineer has to come to your home and do work for about an hour or so if all goes smoothly. Afaik Esat Business and IOL are different parts of the same company and as such talk fairly little.

I hope im wrong if you go for it but thats the impression i got.
    Let us know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Yes its the cheapest 1mb broadband product around but it will still cost you an arm and a leg (iirc about €190 a month for 1mb)
    Given that it's twice the bandwidth and half the contention ratio (not to mention the cap) of the €50 service you're probably comparing it to, what would you say IOLBB costs? One leg below the knee, or one arm below the elbow?

hehehe i guess it depends how much you use it ;)

Usually people say that €190 is too expensive which is why i used arm and leg analogy. Personally im told im crazy to pay €110 a month for 512 but i dload a **** load so it makes it worth while. Kinda depends on what you use it for.

But i conceed the potin :)

• Advertisement

B-K-DzR huh? what? again, huh???

You've lost me:

How can you not know if they have a "product that does 1mb" when you HAVE IT???!!!!

How can you defend using an arm and a leg analogy for cheapest product in it's class??!!
    Yes cars ARE more expensive than bottles of milk. This is the same thing. Get over it!

You say they will REFUND the installation fee and then you act as if this is something bad "I hope im wrong"!!

What planet are you from? Are we speaking the same language?

How can you not know if they have a "product that does 1mb" when you HAVE IT???!!!!

I never said anywhere that they don't have this product. I said i didnt know if they had it as a residential product (infact 95% sure they dont). I dont have it, i have 512k with them. 512k with Esat Business NOT IOL.

Cheapest in its class it may be.but it still costs close to €200 a month. I wouldnt call this cheap when you can get 8mbit in nl for €60 or 1mb in UK for about £30 (€45 ish).
    The only way you could call it cheap is if (like me) your almost constantly downloading. This poster doesnt strike me as that kind of person but of course i may be wrong.
    Yes cars ARE more expensive than bottles of milk
    Try comparing like with like plz.
    A ferrari costs an arm and a leg compared to say a Ford. Its all relative tho. If you have a lot of money then neither will cost an arm and a leg. If your gonna use the ferrari a lot at its higher speeds than it may be more worth your while buying it instead of the Ford even tho its more expensive. Its all relative.
    Maybe €190 odd a month isnt an arm and a leg for you btu for me it is. For most Residential people i would imagine it is.
    You say they will REFUND the installation fee and then you act as if this is something bad "I hope im wrong"!!
    Where did i ever say they'd refund the installation? I said they refund the deposit (surprising seeing as its a deposit eh) after 12 months.

I said i hoped i was wrong that they would have to repay installation.
    What planet are you from? Are we speaking the same language?
    Quite obviously from different planets as the planet im from people tend to read posts properly or maybe even (perish the thought) twice if they dont get something. As for speaking the same language i dont know. If €190 odd a month isnt a lot for you then i guess we do speak diffferent languages (when it comes to money).

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    I never said anywhere that they don't have this product. I said i didnt know if they had it as a residential product (infact 95% sure they dont). I dont have it, i have 512k with them. 512k with Esat Business NOT IOL.
    You said inyour early post and I quote "they installed it for me after all". Again I have to ask if english is in fact your first language!

Cheapest in its class it may be.but it still costs close to €200 a month. I wouldnt call this cheap when you can get 8mbit in nl for €60 or 1mb in UK for about £30 (€45 ish).
    The only way you could call it cheap is if (like me) your almost constantly downloading. This poster doesnt strike me as that kind of person but of course i may be wrong.
    In his post, SuprSi makes it clear that he wants a 1mbps connection. He wants it. We don't need to know why. That's his business. He didn't say why so obviously we don't need to.

Try comparing like with like plz.
    A ferrari costs an arm and a leg compared to say a Ford.

My point was not you can NOT compare 512k to 1mbps and say that 512k is better and only better because of the cost.

Its all relative tho. If you have a lot of money then neither will cost an arm and a leg. If your gonna use the ferrari a lot at its higher speeds than it may be more worth your while buying it instead of the Ford even tho its more expensive.

Ferrari's don't really have much better fuel efficency than Fords and have you seen Irish roads anyway. You're lucky to get over 45.

Its all relative.
    Maybe €190 odd a month isnt an arm and a leg for you btu for me it is. For most Residential people i would imagine it is.

Bare in mind though (as I did) that he will be splitting the cost with his friend anyway. And again, you are trying to convince him not to get it. Why? That's not what he's looking for.

Where did i ever say they'd refund the installation? I said they refund the deposit (surprising seeing as its a deposit eh) after 12 months.
    I said i hoped i was wrong that they would have to repay installation.

My bad. No more posting for me while sleep deprived. :-(

Quite obviously from different planets as the planet im from people

Glad we can agee on something.

tend to read posts properly or maybe even (perish the thought) twice if they dont get something.

Again, sorry about deposit/install thingy (i figure my brain got confused since similar amounts)

As for speaking the same language i dont know.

Neither do I.

If €190 odd a month isnt a lot for you then i guess we do speak diffferent languages (when it comes to money).
    Again, you seem to be getting confused. It's not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by PaulMagrath

My point was not you can NOT compare 512k to 1mbps and say that 512k is better and only better because of the cost.
    Nor can you say that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg just becuase it's slightly cheaper than it's ridiculously overpriced competitors. And if it does cost €190 then it's not the cheapest of all the 1mb services.

Bare in mind though (as I did) that he will be splitting the cost with his friend anyway. And again, you are trying to convince him not to get it. Why? That's not what he's looking for
    I don't see how he's trying to put the guy off getting it. By saying it's expensive? He said that all 1Mb services are, which most ppl would agree with. He told him exactly how much it costs, I'm sure SuprSi will decide if it's too expensive or not.

Originally posted by MrPinK
    Nor can you say that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg just becuase it's slightly cheaper than it's ridiculously overpriced competitors.
    And if it does cost €190 then it's not the cheapest of all the 1mb services.
    Prices, according to the sticky, are:
    NetSource: €204.49
    Eircom: €204.29
    EsatBT: €248.05

Prices, after a bit of checking on the official web sites, are:
    NetSource: As above.
    Eircom: Could not find anything at all about 1mbps services on eircom's crap web site. Have eircom lowered their prices? If so, to what?
    Esat: I had assumed B-K-DzR was right and EsatBT's was €190, making it the cheapest. However, according to their web-site, the price is €211.75, making it the most expensive.

I hereby apologise for believing B-K-DzR about the cost when he said Esat's €190 product was the most expensive.

As you can see, their product is the most expensive but it costs €211.75 NOT €190.

BUT if it had been €190, it would have been, as I mistakenly said, the cheapest.

I don't see how he's trying to put the guy off getting it. By saying it's expensive? He said that all 1Mb services are, which most ppl would agree with. He told him exactly how much it costs, I'm sure SuprSi will decide if it's too expensive or not.

As I have now made clear, B-K-DzR did not tell him "exactly how much it costs" (he was a good bit off). As for saying that all 1Mb services are expensive: he didn't say this, he picked out Esat's non-existant €190 1Mbps product as costing "an arm and a leg".

In fact, €190 would be an extremely comptetive price (against NetSource at any rate and eircom's as well as far as I can tell - not clear totally on eircom's pricing as couldn't find it on their site).

• Advertisement

You said inyour early post and I quote "they installed it for me after all".
    Huh? What are you talking about? I said that they do provide the service to residential customers (as they installed it for me after all) but its still a Business product as im classed as a sole trader. What has that got to do with the bit you quoted?
    We don't need to know why. That's his business. He didn't say why so obviously we don't need to.
    I never said i knew why he wanted it and to be honest i dont really care, as you say thats his business. I just made an opinion about the poster and he didnt strike me as the very rich type who can afford €190 a month(probably cos ive found not many people can from all the complaining about the €50 products)
    Bare in mind though (as I did) that he will be splitting the cost with his friend anyway.
    Still €110 each then. (even 95 each is a fair whack).
    Ferrari's don't really have much better fuel efficency than Fords and have you seen Irish roads anyway
    What are you talking about? Who cares about fuel effecienct. We are talking about speed!!
    What do Irish roads have to do with it? We are using an analogy here, we arent actually talking about getting a ferrari in ireland cos that would just be stupid.

And again, you are trying to convince him not to get it.
    YOU ARE ONCE AGAIN READING STUFF I AINT SAYING. Jesus, i NEVER tried to convince him not to get it. I couldnt care less if he got it or not.
    Again, you seem to be getting confused. It's not for me.
    No its not but you are assuming that the cost wont be an arm and a leg to the poster. Your making the exact same assumptions about the poster that your giving out to me for. Neither of us know wether he'd consider that an arm and a leg but im calling it an arm and a leg cos its an arm and a leg for most people.
    Esat: I had assumed B-K-DzR was right and EsatBT's was €190
    Then quite obviously im wrong... well my forms are wrong, or its changed. According to these it cost €180 ex VAT. (which is just slightly more than what your saying so price has dropped.) I apologise for not addding the VAT and giving an incorrect figure. My bad but i did say if i recal correctly so i never said it as definite.
    he picked out Esat's non-existant €190 1Mbps product as costing "an arm and a leg".
    Yer sorry it actually costs and arm and a leg and a left testee.
    In fact, €190 would be an extremely comptetive price
    For ireland maybe but not where i come from. Shows you what some Irish people will put up with if they consider 190 competitively priced.

The thing is i answered all the posters questions as best i could. You got hung up on me calling it an arm and a leg which had absolutely no relevane to what he asked really. Im fairly sure the only thing that i've said that was incorrect that it costs €190 which you thankfully have corrected me on. I still would like to know why you think (and give 9 to 1 odds) they wont charge him install again?

I just don't think they will want to lose a customer by being petty and insisting that he fullfill the full 12 months of the IOLBB contract, pay again for installation, etc.

BTW: where are you from?

Maybe not, lets hope your right if he goes that path.

From NL, living in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Heh, just to clear it up - I would download quite a bit from month to month, I'd like the extra bandwidth cos I'll be sharing the connection with a friend and having pings as low as 40 in some games will be quite difficult to give up (if the two of us are playing at the same time), and no I definitely wouldn't pay €200 a month for an extra half mb and no cap.

It's a shame they don't offer competitively priced products, in reasonable steps, instead of just quadroupling the cost so I guess I'm just stuck with 512k for a while.

Thanks for the info guys :)

Si.

I'd have to agree that the current setup is insane.

As it is, it is cheaper to get 2 512k ADSL connections than a single 1mbps one. Lunacy.

Well there is a reason for it seing as its aimed at businesses.
    There being better tech support, less down time, more or less guaranteed speeds and uncapped. Also in Esats case way better pings :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by PaulMagrath
    I'd have to agree that the current setup is insane.

As it is, it is cheaper to get 2 512k ADSL connections than a single 1mbps one. Lunacy.
    The €50ish service has a contention ration of 48:1 - that is, for every 48 customers, there's only 512K of bandwidth provisioned.

All of the 1MB products have a 24:1 contention ratio. So they're twice as fast and have half the contention ratio. And they cost about 4 times the price.

Presumably, Eircom will still sell you their 512k/24:1 service, for €108 if you ask nicely, though they don't seem to mention it anymore on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Presumably, Eircom will still sell you their 512k/24:1 service, for €108 if you ask nicely, though they don't seem to mention it anymore on their website.
    It's still on the business section of their site, if you can manage to find your way there. Worst...site...ever. They still have a 6Gb cap on it though.

Advertisement