Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which receiver?

• 28-10-2003 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about getting into this whole home cinema lark after looking at all your setups and well basically I want the same.

I'm in no rush however, so I don't need to buy everything all at once. In fact, I have no real intention of doing it this way.

What I want to start with is the receiver. The speakers can come later. Basically I'm willing to spend up to ~ €450 on a receiver. I just need some recommendations now. I would prefer it to be 6.1 compatable. The ones I have been looking at are the Marantz SR4300 and SR5300. Has anybody got any feedback on either of these? Any other ones I should be looking out for?

I know the way I'm going about this is probably quite impractical, but it's the most financially sound method for me, because I don't have a massive wad of cash to spend on a full system right now.

Anyway, feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

have a look at the SOny Str-db790 it s a nice bit of kit 2 and sounds v good

Marantz is an excelent amp.
    I had two yamaha's before and now I have the marantz sr7200.

It's class for both music and packs a might thump on DD5.1 and DTS.

I Think Daveg who posts here has the 5300 and might comment on that.

I know the way I'm going about this is probably quite impractical, but it's the most financially sound method for me, because I don't have a massive wad of cash to spend on a full system right now.

Assuming you have some speakers already you are going about it the right way :)

Unfortunately , once you start, you will always want to and be able to upgrade as and when the funds allow.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

I don't think starting with the amp is a wise thing to do for several reasons:

1. The A/V receivers are one of pieces of equipment that loses value the most as new models with more features and newer formats are comming out every few months.
    2. The sound will be most determined by the speakers. That is why I think that first you should chose the speakers that give you the type of sound you like and much the type of music/movies you listen to and much your room size.
    3. Only after you've chosen the speakers that suit you, then you should match the best amp that will give you the best out of your speakers and that match is determined by the sensativity of the speakers and the impedance behaviour (for example, if the speakers are not too sensative you'll need a bigger amp etc.)
    4. You could read more on am article I've wrote here

do not hesitate to contact me if you need further help.

Advertisement