Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cashback

Options
  • 28-10-2003 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Is it my imagination or is cashback becoming rarer than Super Unleaded. Two things I want from a garage - one is 97 Octane fuel, the other is often cashback. No sense in paying two sets of bank charges you see. Three garages I tried today and not one of them 'did' cashback - why the hell not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm guessing cashback incurs some costs to the retailer, just as credit card transactions do.

Maybe some have decided that giving €75 cashback with every second €20 petrol purchase doesn't make financial sense? :)

I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Its up to each retailer to decide to offer cashback. As Seamus said if he is giving back €75 with every scond €20 petrol he would very quickly have no cash. Besides petrol places dont keep loads of cash because of robbery risks etc.

AFIK they drop every €100 or so that comes in just leaving a float in the till.

BTW I dont know of any garage doing cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Besides petrol places dont keep loads of cash because of robbery risks etc.

Doesn't cashback reduce the amount of cash that you keep on the premises then?
    Its up to each retailer
    - I'm sick of this from major franchises. If there's ever any issues then we play the old game of
    ...'It's company policy'...vs "It's up to the retailer...'

As far as I can see there is a blooody great sign up that tells me the company I'm dealing with...don't give me "It's up to the retailer" Just some decent customer service...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MadsL
    Doesn't cashback reduce the amount of cash that you keep on the premises then?
    Yes, but Anto and Deco with their stolen motorbike and shotgun don't know how to open safes. Keeping cash in the till for the "off" chance of a cashback is a risk that most petrol stations are unwilling to undertake for Anto and Deco reasons. Robbing a petrol station is a lot more "convenient" than Dunnes Stores.

Pfft! What with all the security cameras out the kabouse, you have to be one sad Anto to have a crack at a petrol station. If they were this often robbed then there would be security screens like in banks and post offices. We are talking about keeping a couple of hundred in the till just for customer convenience.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MadsL
    Pfft! What with all the security cameras out the kabouse, you have to be one sad Anto to have a crack at a petrol station. If they were this often robbed then there would be security screens like in banks and post offices. We are talking about keeping a couple of hundred in the till just for customer convenience.

I see a lot of places have a instore ATM for your money related needs!

I guess we get robbed enough just filling the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

What do you mean when you say cashback? Do you mean you buy say €20 of petrol but the shop take say €50 off your credit card, and you keep the €30 balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by padraigmyers
    What do you mean when you say cashback? Do you mean you buy say €20 of petrol but the shop take say €50 off your credit card, and you keep the €30 balance?
    Yeah, it's a feature of Laser cards. If a shop wishes, they can supply you with extra cash, and charge it directly to your bank account, like an ATM. Back when I was a cashier, the limit was IR£75. I assume its gone up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    Back when I was a cashier, the limit was IR£75. I assume its gone up now.
    It varies from vendor to vendor. Soem places have a €50 limit.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor
    It varies from vendor to vendor. Soem places have a €50 limit.

Tesco has a €95 limit.

Advertisement