Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP doesnt like me

• 28-10-2003 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Well yesterday my pc decided to radomly shut downwhen ever it wants to, i though it could be the software, reformatted it, but porb still is there, i guess its a hardware prob (no error messages, just a power cut and reboots). After reformatting the pc now when windows starts up i get this message

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format. "

any ideas of what file its talking about? or how to resolve it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Did you install AOL?

:D

Haven't a clue. sorry :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

thanks anyway,
    but i sorted the prob myself :D

but the orginal prob is still there, though :mad: the pc keeps shutting down, but its not after a set time, it can be on like 5 mins or to 20 mins and it switches itself off, anyone have any ideas?

its using an intel celeron 1.8 gig, the fan is fine, theirs no overheating issue, i checked the power connections their fine too:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Could it be the blaster virus.. Follow the instructions here to plug the leak and remove the wee bugger if it's there.

i ran blaster checker and anti virus check nope no probs, the power and cpu temp are ok, its like when you turn off the power with out shutting down the pc properly, the power cuts off for just a milli second, i turn back on the monitior and it boots up again:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Could be dicky memory, PSU, motherboard ...., and just because they worked fine for ages and ages doesn't mean that they haven't become dicky now. I know there's no easy way to test this out, but if its a hardware problem it could well be one of these.

Best thing to do is work off as bare a system as you can (say only video card) and see if it still happens. If it does, try borrow some RAM. If it still fails, try borrow a new PSU. Its a process of elimination.

Just remember that sometimes parts became faulty without failing - hence the intermittent reboots. Also sometimes a faulty part makes healthy parts appear faulty - had a HD powering down intermittently, and it was a PSU problem.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

Time for a few less likely possible guesses
    1/Change the IDE cable for a new one
    2/Check for dirt on the CPU under fan
    3/Change the psu for a mates

Could be any or none of the above
    Are you running XP/2K & have auto restart enabled in 'Startup and recovery settings', instead of b.s.o.d. you could be getting restart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

hows the electrics in the house? no-ones switching kettles or hairdryers on and off around the same time are they? try a different (kettle type) lead to your base unit, or maybe an extension lead from a difference socket before pulling your pc to pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by fatmander
    Are you running XP/2K & have auto restart enabled in 'Startup and recovery settings', instead of b.s.o.d. you could be getting restart

Actually that was happening me when I was running Windows 2000, and it was restarting, but not showing me the BSOD. Turned out to be a bad video driver. Installed any new devices or drivers recently?

Power in house in fine, since im the only one in the house. Reformatted twice , reinstalled the drivers for the graphics card , more than likely i would point the finger at the power supply unit, i dont know why, but i got some benchmarking software and the cpu temp is fine , so is the motherboard. But however the voltages came up fine.........except one, but it didnt label what it did it said "recommend -12, currently running -45" all other voltages were running in and abouts the reocommed levels except for that one. Next week,im going to try and replace the power supply unit to see if theirs any improvement.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

probably not the problem but...

you should do what Lukin Black said about that blaster virus,it will upload its self to your pc when your online, once uploaded it tell the pc to run it, if you got an antivirus running it will have quarantined the virus, then the pc gets the command to run it and rpc service dies,normaly pc will warn you that it is gonna reboot

the blaster checker will not spot it if it in the quarantine folder, check you antivirus activity log

you never said what os your using

edit > oh yes you did, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

have you tried it without the video card drivers at all?

failing that, my money's on the PSU having an intermittent fault (minor inconvenience), or something on the mobo (big pain in the arse).

Advertisement