Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java/MySql/Bluetooth/Symbian OS - ouch my head

Options
  • 28-10-2003 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Its another college project post !!:confused:

Long and short story is that i need to dev and app that will connect to bluetooth devices and communicate. So i've been doing a bit of research here and there and everywhere. and i've found out some stuff.

1) There is a SDK which is used on Symbian OS (afaik its used for developing for mobile phones and the like). Anyone who can clear up what Symbian is all about please do so!

2) Java is the janguage which is most documented for connecting to Bluetooth devices. There are books out there which code examples and more but i was hoping to stay away from Java as i don't hear much about it in the industry and i'd hate to end up with a skilll in a language which isn't in demand. Also the Java language is a PITA (well was the last time i worked with it) for developing UI's.

However something which might interest me is Visual J# . It came with the Visual Studio.Net Enterprise Architect box i bought recently....So does anyone have any experience with J#?? the .Net stuff looks snazzy and a handy skill to have when the CV is in the triage pile in about 12months. I dunno if Java/J# are the same thing but i did read some stuff up on msdn which was talking about "bringing Java into the .Net family" kinda deal...

3) MySql, i won't bother asking questions about this since there are prvious threads about it and there seems to be planety of online tutorials. I think i'll manage.

4) Bluetooth. Has anyone actually done any app dev towards bluetooth connectivity??? I saw some threads that were started previously but a couple never got any replies. I've read what the bluetooth architecture is all about (BORING!!) but have no clue ho to go about writing an app to connect to a device. The help on MSDN really just talks about sockets and it seem to be just a rendition on windows socket programming.. Am i right?

So anywho, ideas/information resources or general discussion about using C++/C#/Java/Visual J# would help me out.....So seriously, what do you think....did you even read the whole thing?;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

* Symbian = phone/embedded operating system
    * Symbian dev kit = API's etc for writing, debugging, emulating and deploying symbian OS applications from win32 (/me thinks there's a linux one floating about)
    * Java - blah, up to you, most bluetooth code I've seen for symbian devices is in C++ (eg samples in symbian dev kit)BTW: Industry runs off C++ _and_ java for the most part - please no flames! :p
    * Stay away from J# unless you are porting java code to the .Net platform, actually stay away from the MS + Java combo
    * Yep have done bluetooth stuff loads of fun :p You need time and patience, as with most things - I don't have the time myself atm. Yes bluetooth on win32 is all about sockets. Bluetooth support on the OS is crappy tho, very limited support for devices and profiles, so too API - if you want one from the likes of widcomm you're payin lots of ching ching. Only one manufactuer, TDK, have WHQL drivers - you might be better off looking to linux where things are easier, bluetooth are just another interface that you can do socket programming over, with the addition of device discovery api's.

Maybe that answers some Q's

Dizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Slashdot just posted a reasonable discussion on bt that's of interest to ya.

Dizz

Advertisement