Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog food?

• 28-10-2003 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

did anyone ever eat dog food when they were kids? i did for a while, but then again i was a weird kid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Apparently pet food has to be fit for human consumption before they'll sell it.

Dunno about chowing down on a box of Friskies, but I certainly used to eat slices of raw black pudding when I was a kid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You probably still are spoiirt. Three words:

Fast Food Nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭patch

yup. Raw black pudding, mushrooms, raw cured bacon.
    They all tasted quite nice, if I remember correctly.

My mother tells me as soon as I started to walk, I used to walk around with my hand reaching up on the kitchen table. If she were cooking at the time, margerine was a favorite of mine :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I never ate dog food (unless dog biscuits count?), but my parents kept several pictures of me stuffing my gut with Sudocream as a nipper. God knows why...

Some of those Pedigree Chum concoctions smell right tasty though. I may well give it a go someday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I have eaten a whole tin of the stuff for a bet. Wasnt too bad apart from the jelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

That's just sick Alany! The closest I have ever come is when my friends sister tricked me into eating a dog biscuit. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I ate a dog biscuit when I was younger.. Wasnt too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    Apparently pet food has to be fit for human consumption before they'll sell it.

Okay, what I want to know is how do they know it's fit for human consumption before they put it on the market, then? That would suggest that there's a room somewhere in the Pal and Pedigree Chum testing labs where a bunch of people sit all day eating dog food to see if it makes them sick or not or has any undesireable effects on them! :D

What a strange (disgusting?) job to have, eh? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Okay, what I want to know is how do they know it's fit for human consumption before they put it on the market, then? That would suggest that there's a room somewhere in the Pal and Pedigree Chum testing labs where a bunch of people sit all day eating dog food to see if it makes them sick or not or has any undesireable effects on them! :D

What a strange (disgusting?) job to have, eh? :eek:
    prolly just means that it's cooked to a specific temperature or somesuch.

i used to love dog biscuits apparently, wouldn't go near tinned stuff. (ewwwwww Alany!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

what ? I won a bet ?

Dog food isnt that bad..really its not, Dont knock it till you try it.
    Also I can now claim that i wouldnt feed a dog anything I wouldnt eat myself :)

besides It gave my coat a glossy shine :)

when your 15 there is very little you wont do for a tenner.
    Im 24 now and a tenner still appeals to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

Holy folding attic stairs batman!!! i cant even remember posting this!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE Apparently pet food has to be fit for human consumption before they'll sell it.

Actually there was a period when the regulations on production of Animal food were more stringent than for Human food..

BTW: In tests 9/10 Dogs prefered Cat food. - that's cos Dogs are fairly omnivorous - Linda Mc's Dog was a vegetarian - where as cats can only eat meat.

PS. Chocolate is toxic for Dogs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

my next door neighbour used to eat cat food after drinking

for a bet, naturally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd say both dog and cat food are well fit for human consumption, i always wondered why me cat was always screamin for more food, then i read the ingredients, 83% moisture, tis nothin but brown water, no wonder the poor bugger is always hungry, no wonder its fit 4 human consumption, tis nothin but h20, seriously any1 out there with a dog or cat read the ingredients, its hilarious, 83% moisture 5% ash or somethin similar, tis amazin what u can sell

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The worst I've heard was Calcium Alginate and Bisto.
    (Calcium Alginate is a seaweed extract that is resonably solid at a concentration of 1% - the Bisto meant the chunks were "meaty chunks")

BTW: ever left a gammon steak under the grill too long ?

Also Ham (the human stuff) is allowed contain 25% blood (de-haemoglobinised) the meat is MMR - Mechanically Removed Meat - ie. bone scraper machines that go to work after all reconisible meat has been cut off.. then they add polyphosphates so the proteins adsorb water (same trick is used with porcessed cheese)
    Not too sure if they are also allowed 25% water in the "ham"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Never tried it, but some of that tinned stuff smells tasty, the look of the jelly is the offputting thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,452 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by patch
    black pudding
    Pre-cooked.
    Originally posted by patch
    raw cured bacon.
    Cured, so no problem from surface infection - only infections the pig had himself that survive (a) the pig being dead (b) the curing process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Just as a matter of interest, how much chocolate is toxic for dogs, because my dog can't get enough of the stuff. He goes crazy when he see's me with chocolate bars and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i love dog biscuits!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i've never tried dog food, but i've eaten tinned catfood, i was actually force-fed the catfood by my big brother as opposed to eating it through choice, but still....
    and that whiska's cat milk stuff tastes like galaxy chocolate/caramel milk which is well nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I ate a good bit of it in an iron stomach competition once. Raw white pudding and a full bottle of tobasco sause as well. Lucky I drank enough to dilute all that ****e down, then.

Worse part was when they sent all the pictures of me pucking up my ring to every inbox in UL.

Advertisement