Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Signage System for Dublin

Options
  • 11-09-2003 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭

A revised signage scheme for the Dublin Inner Ring Roads is being implemented during October. The inner ring will have pale blue signs and the outer ring purple signs. More street names and fewer route numbers will be used. The signage material is reflective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I posted about this recently, but can't find the thread. Newspaper coverage at the weekend and implementation in the next week or two.

http://www.dublincity.ie/traffic/sign2.htm
    New Signage System for Dublin

Dublin City Council is introducing a major new directional signage system for the city. The new system will make it easier for you to find your way to and from major, national and regional routes and to access parking in the city centre. It will also help to redirect unnecessary traffic away from the city centre, thereby reducing overall traffic numbers, alleviating congestion levels and improving the environment and facilitating improved bus, cycle and pedestrian priority.

The signage system is based on colour coded inner and outer orbital routes. Each junction on these routes has a unique number. The outer orbital route corresponds roughly to the canal ring and is coloured purple. The inner route passes around the core of the city centre and is coloured blue. When you are on the outer orbital route you will see large purple signs at major junctions. When you are on the inner orbital route you will see large blue sings at major junctions. When you are approaching either of the orbital routes you will see signs with a white background. The top panel will be colour coded to indicate the route (inner or outer) and the junction number will be shown.

By using these maps you will be able to plan your route around the city using the oter and inner orbitals and, if you are travelling to the city centre, you will be able to plan your route to the nearest car park.

Originally posted by Victor
    I posted about this recently, but can't find the thread.
    Thread found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Got a nice fold out map and explanatory leaflet in the Times last week.

Have there been any other changes made to support this orbital route system? Road markings, turn restrictions, changed traffic light sequencing etc?

Originally posted by Sarsfield
    Have there been any other changes made to support this orbital route system? Road markings, turn restrictions, changed traffic light sequencing etc?
    No specificly they are not making any extra changes. The problem last year was they wanted to implement it at the same time as certain turn restrictions etc. and this was too much for some punters minds. I imagine as time goes by, things will be tinkered with to get them flowing better.

I saw some of them up today at Ranelagh Bridge, I suspect they will need some tinkering with as time goes by, but will work well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Originally posted by Sarsfield
    Got a nice fold out map and explanatory leaflet in the Times last week.

I noticed traffic backed up along Pearse St to Westland row tho' the traffic was generally quite. Some idiot in the Traffic dept has decided that Pearse St to College Green is for access only and private cars are now banned from travelling from Pearse st to College Green and are forced onto the already congested Quays thus increasing congestion.

How do we get these moronic "Traffic Engineers" sacked? I presume they will get their benchmarking award for further damaging Dublin's economy.

Bee

Originally posted by Bee
    I noticed traffic backed up along Pearse St to Westland row tho' the traffic was generally quite. Some idiot in the Traffic dept has decided that Pearse St to College Green is for access only and private cars are now banned from travelling from Pearse st to College Green and are forced onto the already congested Quays thus increasing congestion.
    Actually it's been that way for a year (check last years newspapers), although selectively enforced. Having the Building site and the "unofficial" Garda cars there has been a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Originally posted by Bee

How do we get these moronic "Traffic Engineers" sacked? I presume they will get their benchmarking award for further damaging Dublin's economy.

Bee

I don't think traffic congestion has much to do with the decision. It's to do with environment, amenity, preservation of historic buildings etc.

And I'm all in favour of it :)

One could argue that it's all the people in the cars who are doing the damage to the economy. Hence the new signs to try to keep these people outside the centre.

The "turn" ban will also improve North-South traffic flows on College Green and give pedestrians an improved environment.

It will also promote pedestrian traffic away from westmoreland street towards D'Olier Street / Hawkins Street (new pedestrian bridge proposed).

Advertisement