Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA to be on PS2 in 2004

Options
  • 28-10-2003 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

There was so much demand for this by GAA fans and is now going to happen. I'd say it wil be the number one seller in Ireland when it is released.

Link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it will only sell to ppl who are irish so it won't be a great seller but it's cool to it happening.

all we need now is EA Handball 2003 and we'd be set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I wonder will they have the "G'WAN SEAN OG" sound effects from the crowd. Also I'd be interested to see some quality culchie commentary. Sorry to be pessimistic but I can see a GAA game being complete bollocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

thats good its not 3 lads in their bedroom somewhere, its an established developer, with an established game..

I have played the AFL game, and its not bad at all..

at worst this GAA game will be worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

no hurling :( but a start none the less

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Swifty
    I wonder will they have the "G'WAN SEAN OG" sound effects from the crowd. Also I'd be interested to see some quality culchie commentary. Sorry to be pessimistic but I can see a GAA game being complete bollocks :)

I wonder what pitches they’ll include and how much detail they’ll put into them. – that’s the kind of response I think there should be. If there is computer games based on other sports, why not one on Gaelic football?

It’s actually slightly silly to be so dismissive of GAA game, even more so when it won't take too much to convert a AFL game into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

If anyone remembers OPM Ireland, they said that about the game when the PS2 was released. Old news I'm afraid. Also I won't be buying it just to support the farmers. I'll d/l it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by kensutz
    If anyone remembers OPM Ireland, they said that about the game when the PS2 was released. Old news I'm afraid. Also I won't be buying it just to support the farmers. I'll d/l it.
    Whats old news? If I understand you right this news was only released today.

Also, what do you mean you won't be buying it to support the farmers? Sony aren't farmers. and how can you download a PS2 game?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

emulators or something

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You can't emulate a PS2 on a PC.
    It's not a matter of sheer horsepower but rather then entire architecture and system layout (and I don't just mean instruction sets, pipelines etc.).

Kensutz seems to mean downloading a "backup" of it. Which will require a end-user modified system to use.

Tbh, I just hope they don't make a half-assed mod of FIFA and stick the CLG logo on it.
    And tbh, hurling should've been on a console long ago. If they have NHL, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Probabl cos NHL is bigger than GAA ;)

didnt know u couldnt emulate a PS2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

so whos really gonna buy a GAA game apart from the irish?

this would probably be the main reason syxpak i would imagine why they have an NHL game and not a hurling one. Plus the fact that ireland could fit about 5 times(?) into an average state of the usa?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yesha u can emulate the ps2, Noe u cant run commercial(or any) games on it yet.

OMG DOWNLOADEH TEH 10gig image file

Id buy Gaa 2k4 or whatever sounds cool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You would think they would give it to an Irish developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

not at all the auzzies have the basics of this format down so they will probally have the advantage

GPA to take on GAA over image rights for PlayStation game
    http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/sport/Full_Story/did-sg-V4fHC-zark.asp
    By Mark Gallagher and Jim O'Sullivan
    A STAND-OFF over image rights is brewing between the GAA and the GPA,
    following the announcement by Association President Sean Kelly yesterday of
    a planned Gaelic football game being developed for the Sony PlayStation 2.

The player's body had been developing a similar game in conjunction with an
    indigenous multi-media company run by ex-Longford footballer, Frank McNamee,
    and a prototype had already been created.

However, Kelly's announcement that contracts have been agreed between Sony
    Computer Entertainment Ireland, the GAA, and Melbourne-based IR Guns, to
    manufacture a Gaelic football game, looks like ending the GPA plan.

While acknowledging that a PlayStation game is excellent for the promotion
    and stature of our national sports, GPA Chief Executive Dessie Farrell
    expressed disappointment at yesterday's announcement.

"The GPA is disappointed that the very ethos of the GAA has been undermined
    by Croke Park itself, to the detriment of a small indigenous Irish company
    managed by one of its own, a former county player.

"This company was projecting six additional jobs from our own proposed
    co-operative venture, but the GAA's agreement, endorsing the overseas
    development and manufacturing of a competing product for the Irish market,
    is a severe setback.

"Whilst it's understandable that playing gear cannot be manufactured
    domestically at all times in the modern era, this project presented an
    unique opportunity for the GAA and the fans to develop an innovative product
    in Ireland, support the players, and invest in Irish expertise."

GPA Commercial director Donal O'Neill feels the game could bring the issue
    of image rights to a head.

In many soccer games, there is a distorted version of the players' name.
    Kelly said no decision had been made in relation to image rights and how
    county players were going to be portrayed.

One option, utilised in soccer games, is a design enabling game-players to
    choose names themselves.

However, the GPA are unhappy at not being engaged in dialogue about image
    rights.

"It is interesting to note the reference to the issue of players' image
    rights, in the absence of any formal dialogue with the GPA," Farrell said.

"Whilst industry and, increasingly, definitive legal opinion, would advocate
    the co-operative commercial model adopted with similar ventures in other
    sports, including soccer, whereby the relevant players' image rights are
    commercially acknowledged in a formalised legal capacity, the GPA has yet to
    be approached in this instance."

GAA Playstation deal may scupper plans of Irish firm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Big Chief
    so whos really gonna buy a GAA game apart from the irish?

this would probably be the main reason syxpak i would imagine why they have an NHL game and not a hurling one. Plus the fact that ireland could fit about 5 times(?) into an average state of the usa?
    They made an Aussie Rules game and that came out very succesful being the number 1 seller in Australia. Australia has a population of 19 million and Ireland has a population of 5 million.

Then you have the Irish in the UK and America that would buy it. I don't know how many Irish-Americans there are but I think it is about 15% of the total population of the US. Even if they don't know how to play the bloody game they would buy it because you know how the Irish-Americans are about Irish culture.

I think this will be a better seller than you think.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I don't get why people say games like these won't sell. if the game is done well. then it generally gets good sales. I hop it doesn't turn out like rugby 2004. That was crap. NHL on the other hand is a game I've bought in the past and I have no experience of actual ice hockey! Just shows that if a game is quality and fun then it'll sell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

dont forget that ireland has a high saturation of playstation owners, about 400,000 units have been sold in the country, and even one in four people buying the game would deem it a success.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by tba
    dont forget that ireland has a high saturation of playstation owners, about 400,000 units have been sold in the country, and even one in four people buying the game would deem it a success.

“We are projecting to have sold 480,000 PS2’s in Ireland by March 2004 and this level of household penetration represents a huge opportunity for this title” - Niall O’Hanrahan, MD of SCEI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i told my brother about this last night and his first words were "that's a must buy." how many more are going to think like that. i can see this game doing extremely well here in this country and maybe with some expats dotted all over the place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

sweet!

me n meh bro have been talking about a GAA game for years!

worth a look imo

Advertisement