Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Tweaking

Options
  • 28-10-2003 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Known me this is probably in the wrong section but I suppose it will be moved if it is , and I can't see where else it should go .

Right down to business , ppl have been complaining about d/l , browsing and ping issues while using Clicksilver . In some of the threads I have read ppl saying they used this tweak or that tweak to improve/try to improve it .

So I was hoping we could get them in here all in one thread and it might be useful to ppl like me who are not that tech minded ( so keep the posts simple and easy to understand ).

I myself have d/led a program called Dr.mtu and changed the mtu setting to 1492 as suggested on the utv newsgroup , I see Damastas has been advised to change his to 1452 ?

anyone have anything to add

John.

PS : ah yes , the name of any modem or router used would probably be helpful aswell , I'm still using the supplied 630 USB..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

hi,

using an etech ethernet router.tried changing the mtu to 1452. result was could not send email , could not browse certain sites at all most notably ebay. had to go back to 1492. observed no increases in speed while at 1452.

browsing is through the floor.had better on my 14.4k!

jack.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I may be a pessimist and a cynic but surely tweaking is only going to affect speed by a relatively small amount either way? and if a tweak results in a major improvement would that not in itself be an indictment of the way UTV are presenting the product to its customers?

To have to resort to a thread like this when we are paying 47.5 euros a month for a so called premium product is a terrible reflecton on UTV and their general attitude to Clicksilver and its users who are experiencing ongoing problems.

Me thinks one of these days a chiropacter or physiotherapist up north is going to be making a fortune as a result of all the serious back problems which prolonged sticking one´s head in the sand results in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dub45
    and if a tweak results in a major improvement would that not in itself be an indictment of the way UTV are presenting the product to its customers?
    Naw, more an indictment of the way Microsoft fix the MTU settings. It's a potential Windows issue, not an ISP one. It used to make a big difference on Windows 95 for a few reasons, I suspect that the improvement on more recent versions of Windows would be relatively small (but that's no reason not to take the gain if you can)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

As a 1492 guy, I'll just add that the reason I use it is that it allows me to upload, and I mean that in the widest sense i.e. send emails, post to Boards, upload to my ftp, etc. Before I changed it, I could only send very short mails or posts. Anything over a couple of lines just wouldn't go anywhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I suppose the thrust of my argument is that if your buying a rolls royce (ie a premium product like click silver!) you should not be expected to have to tune the engine to get it to perform as it should!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

thought I might get a few tips here , obviously not .

any one here on utv play games online ? and if so did u notice any ping difference after the new found d/l speeds ?

or can anyone tell me why this should effect my ping ?

John.

Advertisement