Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the oldest possesion you have ?

• 28-10-2003 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

I have coins from a good while back (1800s) and I think thats the oldest thing I have.

I'm sure theres other old stuff but I can't think of anything else right now.

So how old is your relic ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Got you beat by a few thousand years :)
    This is a fossil I got a few years ago, I have the information on it stored away somewhere (I'm not exactly organised). It's basically the remains of the shell of an ancient organism and it's pretty damned heavy. Makes a nice paperweight.
    Heres two pictures of it (Game case is there for size comparison ala The Bone Collector):

rollertoasterfossil.jpg

and one without the case:

rollertoasterfossil2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

thousands !?! try millions......

I have a fossil collection myself, so I'd say that's the oldest possesion one could have, no ?

oh right, if someone actually collects meteorits....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

The oldest working item I have is my violin, 1880-90's not sure, I also have some old fossil from antrim somewhere and I'm sure some of the rocks in my garden are pretty old too :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Ah for God sakes guys it has to be man made! Though he didn't specify that I'm sure thats what he meant. I don't think rocks are antiques though they are collectable.

Anyway this isn't the oldest item I have but one of the nicer ones. It's a bronze Roman fibula (or toga brooch) from the 3rd C. AD. It's uncleaned at the moment. I have older Greek ones and coins from BC.

124.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Hehe, true I guess. Anyway, where did you pick that beauty up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I got some of these by catalog from a dealer in Milan. This one was 120 Euro, it's original pin is inact though seized. It's possible to clean them and they come up real shiney bronze but it's painstaking work and it actually devalues them a little. The result is worth it though cause they don't loose very much. They can be got very cheaply without the pin as most of them are found broken. They come in different styles, this is a later version from the end of the empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

An old putter club from 1919. Still in excellent condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The oldest man-made item I have (apart from my monitor) is a book called the "Temptation of Man" or similair, which was published in 1895.

My mums' got some coinage which may go back to around 1860 but not quite sure of dates.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

A 1832 water color painting of an Irish Gentleman, with red cheeks, frock coat and walking cane.
    Signed and dated by HORATIO NELSON .
    I did some research on him when I visited Dublin back in the 1980s.
    He worked in Dublin around St. Stephens Green and had other establishments in Dublin City.
    Also a book printed in 1756 : Smiths County Kerry ( it gives you all the flora and fauna, towns, villages, crops etc in Kerry at the time of 1756 ). Interseting reading about the life and times of that time.
    This was sent from a bookseller in Dublin to a gentleman in Boston at Boston Custom House in the early 1900s ( or was it the late 1800s).
    There is a notation from the seller to the buyer that this was the only copy available at that time in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I have neolithic flint scarper that i found when out walking in a feild thats now a housing estate,so i supppose its 5-7 thousand years old.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

er, i mean SCRAPER and FIELD..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I have a 1938 copy of Mein Kampf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

u guys have some v cool stuff! grimes cant believe youve a copy of mein kampf dats v cool. Ive some old coins but just to 1908 and stuff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I never throw anything out so I've got all sorts of stuff laying around the place. Other than a fossil collection going back to the Cambrian, I have a byzantine bronze reliquary cross from the 9/10thth century. Got it a fair few years back and actually wear it from time to time. Here's a crappy pic of one side of it.

cross7xm.jpg

I also like Degsy have a neolithic flint scraper I found years ago in Mayo. I have a Cromwellian bronze coin I found in the garden when I was living near the sth circular road. Lucky find that one. Have a few non rare Roman coins as well(not found in Dublin though :D ).

I used to collect old wristwatches(way before the prices went crazy bonkers) and have a Longines trench watch from 1916 and a Zenith pilots watch from 1935. The longines would be among the first generally available wrist watches for men. The one on the left is a US miltary watch(mechanical) from the early 90's.

zenlon4sa.jpg

PS Blade, like the bronze Roman fibula. That's a real beaut.
    PPS Hope it's ok to post multiple images. They're pretty small, but if it's a prob please delete.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

BigCon wrote:

I've replied to your thread, in case you haven't seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

A Copy of Moby Dick printed in 1907. Lovely little thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

My ex-wife looks pretty old on newer pics. glad I got rid of her :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

my pet rock, "stone".

Advertisement