Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Config

Options
  • 28-10-2003 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Calling network Guru's!....

Basically I have two network adaptors in my PC, one for Internet and a second for local lan. Problem is that my PC cant see other PC's on the local LAN.

I can connect to shares, but TCP/IP stuff doesnt work. I think the problem is with the routing tables, but dont know enough to correct!

For example, say my PC(A) IP is 1.1.1.1, and another PC(B) on the local LAN is 1.1.1.2.....

PC(A) (which has the two network cards) cant PING PC(B), but PC(B) can PING PC(A) without a problem!

PC(A) has no problem connecting to the inernet (on the primary interface). As best as I can *guess* the PC is trying to route PING requests onto the internet connection rather than the local network!

Any help appreciated!

Ta,
    Jab

PS - OS=Win2K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

Going by your example you should goto the PC that has the 2 Nic's in it. Now goto Start, Run, type CMD

Now in the Command Prompt, type in

route ADD 1.1.1.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 1.1.1.1

^^^ I have made this line going by your IP example's. After that, type 'Route Print' and see if the line you have entered appears there. If it does now try ping 1.1.1.2 from PC(A). It should work as your primary PC, the one with the 2 nics PC(A) now knows that if it wants to access the network IP subnet of 1.1.1.0/24 then use the Default Gateway of 1.1.1.1 (which is your NIC attached to your LAN interface).

Hope this helps

by the way, the capital letters in the line I gave you are neccessary. It will not work if you type 'route add *** mask'

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Excellent, thanks!.....

I was trying all sorts of things like that....but the problem was the capitals!...nice one!

Jab

glad to help ;)

Advertisement