Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up laptop OS.

• 28-10-2003 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Right heres the deal...

I want to set up on os on an old laptop I have.
    Now, it does not have a CD-Rom drive, but i was thinking I could take the hard drive out of it and put it in my mega Pc and install it there, then transfer the hard disk back to laptop.

Im a little confused about the connections. I dont know If they will be able to connect to my PC. What are they? IDE 2.5 or something?

Is this Idea possible, or can anyonne suggest a better method? (Not OSon floppy!!!!)

BTW, its a Pentium1 120.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

You can Get A regular ide to 2'5 ide cable in maplins, peats might have them as well...

So you would just use it like an ordinary hard drive...then get your os cd, boot etc. install.

Happy Days!!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

You can Get A regular ide to 2'5 ide cable in maplins, peats might have them as well...

So your SURE they are IDE 2.5? Are they usually 2.5?

So can I not just connect them to the IDE 2.5 Connector (instead of floppy) on My PC. Not needing the converter?

Usually Laptops Hard Drives are 2.5 ide......

No you wont be able to connect the 2.5 ide coz its not the same as standard ide...... the converter will do the job probably about 10 euro the convertor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Right so its a different type of IDE 205 connector, not like the one used for Floppy drives.

Any chance of a link to the converter? Ive been looking but cant find 1 on peats.

closest thing on peats website....
    http://peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=2766&type=6&path=11x106x327

Maplins have it here
    www.maplin.co.uk
    Product: ZV01B

• Advertisement
Advertisement