Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Motherboard with onboard graphics

• 28-10-2003 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads
    I'm building a machine for the folks and Im looking to get a mobo with decent graphics can anyone recoomend me one and also were to buy it.
    Basically I want something similar to the below.
    The onboard graphics must be fairly decent and be able to play the likes of Unreal tourny 2 not in full detail of course :-)
    So lads recommendations welcome.

"Onboard Kit AMD XP2200+ 1,8GHz 512mbDDR
    Abit MB, nForce2IGP,VGA,Audio,LAN USB 2

See other products from

EUR 287.12 inc. VAT
    (EUR 237.29 ex. VAT) "

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

my experience of onboard graphics has been that they handle some games very well [half life on top resolutions] and some very badly [GTA3]
    they're normally about 32MB, of which they knick off your RAM.

i'm actually buying a very similar setup for a friend.
    the reviews i've read of the mobo seem good.
    the mobo supports 333 FSB though, and the chip you've listed runs only at 266 FSB. and komplett doesn't mention how fast the RAM is aswell, or how many sticks it is [1 X 512, or 2X 256]. the board supports up to 3200 ram, in dual config.

what i'm gonna get is:

AMD Athlon XP2600+ Barton 333 MHz bus
    - Socket A 1.917 GHz processor
    Abit NF7-M mainboard for Socket A, LAN
    - nForce2IGP/MCP/, ATX, VGA, USB2.0
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB Dual Pack
    - Kit w/two matched PC3200 CL2.5 DDRs

TOTAL after VAT: €305.92

not that much more money for MUCH better performance.

dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by mickb00
    Hi Lads
    I'm building a machine for the folks and Im looking to get a mobo with decent graphics can anyone recoomend me one and also were to buy it.
    Basically I want something similar to the below.
    The onboard graphics must be fairly decent and be able to play the likes of Unreal tourny 2 not in full detail of course :-)
    So lads recommendations welcome.

"Onboard Kit AMD XP2200+ 1,8GHz 512mbDDR
    Abit MB, nForce2IGP,VGA,Audio,LAN USB 2

See other products from

EUR 287.12 inc. VAT
    (EUR 237.29 ex. VAT) "

:D

I have a NF-7 M with IGP and it plays UT2003 at full detail @ 1024x768 at around 70 fps.

I have 512 2700 twinmos ram (2x256)
    and the Barton 2500 (1.833 ghz) chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

AMD Athlon XP2600+ Barton 333 MHz bus
    - Socket A 1.917 GHz processor
    Abit NF7-M mainboard for Socket A, LAN
    - nForce2IGP/MCP/, ATX, VGA, USB2.0
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB Dual Pack
    - Kit w/two matched PC3200 CL2.5 DDRs

Friend of mine had a lot of trouble with a xp2500/nf7-m/pc3200 pair. We think it was something to do with the intergrated graphics, but it was a very disappointing start to having a new machine (he spent probably two weeks patching and reinstalling crap to try and fix it).

Never worked out exactly why it wasn't working, but I swapped 2x256MB of Twinmos PC2700 with his memory and neither of us had any more problems. I'd do a search for nf7-m and pc3200 before you spend any cash and see if any problems have surfaced on the web since.

rob

Did you put them in the right DIMM sockets.

They should be placed differently than 2700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

The guy isn't a fool (I know that's not what you were suggesting ;)) so I don't think he'd of messed up on something small like that. I'd wager a few euro that his memory would have ran fine if I had lent him my graphics card and he'd disabled the onboard.

You'd also save a few euros on pc2700 memory, if they guy is getting intergrated graphics his primary concern must be cost rather than performance.

I'd also swap the xp2600 with an xp2500 if they have them available, mine is overclocked from 1.8 to 2.0something, using the stock cooler, no fancy psu or anything. I getting it to run at this speed is a nobrainer and it's kinda neat when you move from xp2500 to xp2800 without paying the extra 50 euro :)

Rob

• Advertisement

No I wasn't suggesting that, just that people miss it all the time, and place them in DIMMS 3 & 2 (which is recommended for 2700 ram)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

EPox 8RGA+

Has everything and a Gf3 MX440 onboard.

LD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Lorddrakul
    EPox 8RGA+

Has everything and a Gf3 MX440 onboard.

LD
    gf4 surely?

not sure if there are any mobos with a radeon 9100 onboard out yet, they'd be the one to go for over a gf4mx440 anyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I have a 8rga+ with an xp1800
    I can get aroung 5500 in 3d sysmark 2001se which aint bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Yup,

you are quite right, sorry about that, GF4 MX onboard. Silly me.

LD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'd suggest getting a cheap agp card instead of any onboard gfx - will be better. buy a cheaper mobo instead and spend a little on the gfx.

Advertisement