Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help !!!

Options
  • 29-10-2003 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Can anybody help?

I've deleted really important files from the recycle bin. Is there any way I can get them back?

I have Windows ME

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

dont do anything more on that pc, dont use it at all if possible. By deleting the file from the recycle bin, you've told Windows that it can use up the space from the file you've just delelted. Your best bet is to try start a recovery program from CD. Nortan utilities comes to mind, but as far as I remember you have to install the damn thing? which could possibly overwrite the file your trying to retrieve. I'm sure there is other free shareware recovery apps on the internet, google for one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

There's a few programs that can help.
    The way window stores the files is you think there gone but the data is still technically there for a longer peiod of time (till there written over I think.)

Anyway I used this a few times before.
    It's not shareware or freeware but someone might be able to help with links like that

http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Final Data is excellent imho (it's saved my ass a few times, I once recovered almost a whole HD worth of files with it (my own fault for putting hundreds of files under one directory and deleting it). Like the app recommended by Ste- it's not freeware though.

As ando said, don't do /anything/ more with that drive if possible until you get something to recover the data (unless you can get one that runs straight from CD or floppy). The best way to be sure that you can recover the stuff is to get a recovery program, pop your drive in as a slave (probably in another PC) and recover to the main drive. Any other mothod runs a good chance of overqriting some of the data you've lost as the space has been marked as available for writing. Even by browsing the web the temp files created may overwrite the files you've accidentally deleted.

Worth having a poke through www.download.com to see if there's anything available for nowt that would do the job. I'd be wary of recommendations from people unless they've actually used a particular app though, assuming the deleted stuff is important to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

you can roll back to a safed date cant you i think win Me allows you to do that ! u should be able to retrive windows files if thats what the impotant file is !:D

Advertisement