Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY developers bring GameCube online

Options
  • 29-10-2003 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Want to play Mario Kart online? (Source: IGN.com)
    Sadly, this isn't an announcement that Nintendo has finally jumped into the online realm. Instead, a hardworking team of programmers has figured out a way to bypass Nintendo's online reluctance. Similar to Xbox Connect, the "Warp Pipe Project" uses a Windows utility to fool the GameCube into thinking it's on a LAN network when it's actually connecting through the Internet. All you'll need to get the GameCube online is a version of Warp Pipe, a broadband adapter, router, Windows enabled PC, and a LAN enabled game.
    Currently, public testing of the alpha build is available for download from Warppipe.com and will run with Kirby Air Ride -- and eventually Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and 1080: Avalanche.
    Chad Paulson, project manager, said in a conversation with GameCube Advanced, "We look forward to delivering a continued commitment to all Nintendo fans who want to play games online. This is just the start of a very fun product."

If this worked well, it would be very sweet. Only problem would be those Broadband Adapters; they're expensive as they are rare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

if this gains momentum, it could really help the gamecube. mario kart (providing its good) online will be the business. will encourage a few more ppl to get broadband too i reckon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unfortunately for me a 256k broadband connection is recommended by the developers. So no online mario kart for me and my 56k connection. I'll have to console myself with a few beers, a few friends, a GC, four controllers, and MK:DD. Well maybe things aren't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by deadduck
    if this gains momentum, it could really help the gamecube. mario kart (providing its good) online will be the business. will encourage a few more ppl to get broadband too i reckon

why are nintendo so against the cube being played across the internet? has it to do with their worries about piracy? you'd think they jump on any bandwagon to boost sales.
    actually is there even such a thing a chipping a cube?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by deadduck
    will encourage a few more ppl to get broadband too i reckon

Or maybe it will encourage Nintendo to move into online? Nah, thats unlikely. But if there was one game Nintendo should have used its blatently ignored Broadband Adapter with, its Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Advertisement