Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Compression

• 29-10-2003 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to rip a 4.5 gig dvd movie to a smaller disk 2 gig(for backup purposes), getting rid of extras and deleted scenes etc. and if so maybe point me in the direction of a tutorial on doing it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

assuming it's for backup purposes (of course) there's a guide on converting it to SVCD here: http://www.dvdripguides.com/dvdrip2a.php

I'm guessing you could probably convert it to SVCD (almost as good as DVD quality) and burn it onto a 2gb DVD disc.

Disclaimer: I'm assuming you are making a backup of something you legally own and are not using this information to do anything you shouldn't do. If you aren't you're a bad boy and will burn in hell for your sins. probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

thanks for that link and seriously though, it is only for backups and the pure "because i can" factor. don't bother rentin dvds no more, it's almost cheaper to buy them. although i think i may be burning in hell already, can't be sure oh wait no it's just the office thermostat on the blink

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

For shrinking a DVD to a smaller size dvd use DVD Shrink (www.dvdshrink.org).

Rather than stripping off some parts completly I would compress them to the maximum amount. This way your copy (of your original!) will be more compatible with DVD players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

dvdXcopy gives you the option to copy just the film and soundtrack which is what you're after I think.
    This has no quality loss whatsoever, the only thing is the 2gig restriction - you can't predict end file size
    Why the 2gig restriction?

Advertisement