Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL broqadband 8mbps ?

• 29-10-2003 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me if this is the normal speed for their standard service ? A friend ordered IOL broadband and when you mouseover the connection icon in the windows tray this speed comes up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by chill
    Can someone tell me if this is the normal speed for their standard service ? A friend ordered IOL broadband and when you mouseover the connection icon in the windows tray this speed comes up.

Urm no, it should be 512k. Sounds like they have the wrong driver installed on their pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I've seen that on a few USB modems. Best guess I could come up with was that it was just reporting the maximum speed it can communicate at. (ADSL in theory can go to 8 megs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What client is being used? IIRC, the RASPPPoE client reports 0 (zero) but allows you to enter 512k or whatever when configuring.

I thought that the 512k is simply a speed throttle implemented by the ISP (or Eircom), not a reflection of the line speed (as it would be with V.90 on an analogue modem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

The reasons I ask are a) it seemed like he may have been given a higher speed product and b) when I used his browser it was surfing MUCH faster than my own Netsource SOHO service and I get excellent speeds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The Zyxel USB modem UTV supplied me with reported the same thing. I'm guessing it's the speed at which the modem connects to the computer (as against the modem to the DSLAM).

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Originally posted by dahamsta
    The Zyxel USB modem UTV supplied me with reported the same thing. I'm guessing it's the speed at which the modem connects to the computer (as against the modem to the DSLAM).

adam

I'd agree with that... when using my mobile phone for RAS access, I'm informed that im connected at 115.2Kbps, but thats simply the speed that the bluetooth connection between the mobile phone and the bluetooth card operates.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

Ok guys - that seems to wrap it up.

Mucho gracias !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

www.dslreports.com has a speed test facility, but it's located in the USA. http://www.dslreports.com/stest

there's a local (local to ireland) speed test page here: http://homepage.eircom.net/~leslie/testpage/testlrge.htm which should give you a good idea of speeds.

let us know the results, might turn out to be interesting. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by vibe666
    let us know the results, might turn out to be interesting. :D
    No it wouldn't. There's a sticky about speeds already.
    Any thread about BB speeds on this board normally spawn 5 netsource threads all talking about the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

fairy smurf :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement