Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First FPS ever

Options
  • 29-10-2003 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Can anyone remember or those anyone what the first ever FPS was, I don't believe it was Wolfenstein was the first but I could be wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Wolfenstein, I played it no the SNES though didnt get a PC till after Doom 2 :)

I also played an FPS on the Sega Megadrive that I loved but I cant remember thae name of it for the life of me.

[edit]

Actually maybe Hired Guns on the Amiga was first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

According to Games tm Mag, the first first person shooter ever was, 3D monster maze on the ZX81 (1982) , even tho there was no shooting, it had all the other elements of a FPS, then there was midi maze on the atari ST (1987).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Hover Tank by our beloved friends at id software. It predates anything else I know of in the FPS. I got it on an id anthology cd. I'm sure you'd find it on abandon ware sites somewhere if you were really bothered. You'll probably need an older machine to get it up and running though if you do find it.

Basically you go through a maze and shoot things. and it's all first person. F.P.S.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Quake 3:D

Seriously, what about the vector graphics arcade star wars game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hmm I'd think it was The Eidolon by lucasarts on the C64, it used fractals to generate 3d caves and yup it was a First person shooter. It's the first I remember anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

driller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    driller
    What a great game... whenever someone says 'amethyst' I think of driller for some reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Originally posted by Jazz
    What a great game... whenever someone says 'amethyst' I think of driller for some reason!

heehee! i get that every time i see Lapis Lazuli

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

"*Something* Tank" On the Spectrum (*Something* highlighting the fact that I can't remember the first name) was the first one I ever played... Basically you controlled 2D tanks (Light, med or heavy depending on you're preferance) all over this map until you cross the path of an enemy one with which it went into it's adorable (and full of LINES) 3D(ish) FPS mode where you basically had to blast the **** to bits... Everything was drawn with lines hence it was hell slow but quite a ****ing gobsmacking discovery for me for my age at the time. Wether you'd class it as an FPS, I don't know, but for me twas something worth a pat on the back.

Other than that, Wolfenstein and Doom were the next for me to witness...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Obviously not the first as i dont seem to have been born at that stage but the first i remember on the PC was Abyss, Rise of the Triads(loved that game btw), Wolf then Doom.

So Abyss was the first i ever played but no idea what was the first ever :)

• Advertisement

Hmm, can First person view from a vehicle really be included? that widens the 'search' a lot.
    Driller was great, brilliant soundtrack and the first game ever to have realtime 3d filled polygons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

i remember driller from me c64 days, but for the life of me i cant remember who made them

can someone enlighten me

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    "*Something* Tank" On the Spectrum (*Something* highlighting the fact that I can't remember the first name) was the first one I ever played... Basically you controlled 2D tanks (Light, med or heavy depending on you're preferance) all over this map until you cross the path of an enemy one with which it went into it's adorable (and full of LINES) 3D(ish) FPS mode where you basically had to blast the **** to bits... Everything was drawn with lines hence it was hell slow but quite a ****ing gobsmacking discovery for me for my age at the time. Wether you'd class it as an FPS, I don't know, but for me twas something worth a pat on the back.

Other than that, Wolfenstein and Doom were the next for me to witness...
    Battlezone, was the first 3D First person shooter.
    Vector graphics (lines).
    Though I do beleve Tempest may have a tenuous claim to the first 3D shoot-em up....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

shinzon,

It was Freescape that came out with Driller in 1988. I still like to listen to that 20 minute tune that came with the game now and again. Darkside was the next one which was quite short but easy to complete. Never really liked the Total Eclipse series though... but anyway back on topic....

Scarabaeus was another early FPS on the C64... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Freescape, damn that was the name, was bugging the hell outta me alnight

Shin

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Obviously not the first as i dont seem to have been born at that stage but the first i remember on the PC was Abyss, Rise of the Triads(loved that game btw), Wolf then Doom.

So Abyss was the first i ever played but no idea what was the first ever :)

The game you mention was called Catacomb Abyss and it was Id's precursor to Wolfentein 3D.
    And, Rise of the Triad was released quite a while after Doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yeah, ROTT was well after Doom. It featured such advanced features as jumping, looking up and down etc.

Also, something that doesnt feature any shooting cannot, by definition, be called a First Person Shooter.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

The game you mention was called Catacomb Abyss and it was Id's precursor to Wolfentein 3D.
    And, Rise of the Triad was released quite a while after Doom.

yer catacomb abyss. That was fun :D

Yer youu right again, course ROTT was after Doom. not sure whay its the other way around in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Thanks guys, Driller was made by Incentive Software, now renamed superscape.

Ever play with the 3D Construction Kit that they released? I remember getting it on the Amiga in '92. It was pretty cool to construct worlds with some basic logic in it... but anything complex and it slowed right down. A bit like SEUCK really.... great for the designer but who would play them? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was reading an old copy of PCGamer today and they say it was Beach head. However the PCGamer I read was from the current era which is run by idiots.

However they could still be right.

Beach head? Nooooo. It was a collage of many different game styles but no FPS (Unless they're trying to claim the naval artillery bit was FPS which is stretching things a hell of a lot).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Wolfestein 3d

I believe Wolfenstein 3D was the first recognised 3D FPS. It was the first to make you notice. :) Doom's had textures on the ceiling/floor next and that was wow. Quake replaces sprites with polygons.... and so on we go... what will FPS's be like in another 10 years time... that what I would like to know. Jaded or changed beyond recognition? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Not the first FPS but Ultima Underworld was the first "proper" 3d game. Or so I remember reading long ago...

Anyone remember Gloom on the Amiga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i have Gloom at home, never finished it though!
    it was tough and that was even with finding a way of upping my ammo with the code system

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Doom

Advertisement