Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signature Images.. oh dear

• 29-10-2000 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

theyre all so unbelivably crap looking and tacky.. why why why where they turned on?
    i mean ffs i can see a persons name written on the left hand side of the screen i dont need to see it again in a rotating gif or with some l33+ ass photoshop metallic or lensflare effect.
    in the majority of cases a persons actual signature is bigger than their post like..
    bah crapness overload. my rant is finished.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Yes, quite. They don't seem to have any purpose but to show us the person's name again. Plus they make the pages very cluttered and untidy looking. Having said that if people enjoy having it at the end of their posts I've got no real problem with it staying.

I am inflatible !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

yeah I agree.

athlete_main.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Agreement

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We'll there are physical and virtual size limits which we are enforcing to stop huge images. I'm not wild about them either but we thought we'd try them out for a laugh as we can always turn them off wink.gif

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, I agree, Small ones aren't that bad but when peoples Sig is taking up half the page with both there Pic and there writing, tis abit crappy.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

I don't think it is really the actually image but the fact some people just put their name is some crappy paintshop plugin stlye or have it in 3D GAH WE KNOW YOUR NAME ALL READY.

and some people just abuse the privilage of being able to add an image

see above post I really hope that was joke img

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

lk the image above looks like arnie schwartz-en-what-ever

MiCr0

dogbert.gif
    It’s so easy to criticise

I know what it is I can see :-)

I just meant I hope he put it in as a joke and that it's not a permant part of his sig

I will not hate anybody for having a sig picture. I will only dislike them for that the picture is :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

ah chill... they're grand smile.gif

well...

depends on the person... some are good, some are awful sh|te...

I like Zapper's best so far biggrin.gif

bard2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

Why thank you Bard..thats very kind smile.gif

Oh..and to clear things up "Metalchicken" is in fact my sister..and that was posted as a joke. wink.gif

vince1.gif
    I Like Jam.

• Advertisement

Bard noticed that what we're talking about is people who have sig images of their Name ... oh dear just like yours rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Lord Khan:
    Bard noticed that what we're talking about is people who have sig images of their Name ... oh dear just like yours rolleyes.gif

Thanks for that, "Lord Khan". I didn't know I'd noticed that...

Bard can speak for Bard and that is not what Bard noticed, thanks. Probably because this conversation is NOT necessarily restricted to the topic of people who have sig images that consist solely of their name. What I thought we were talking about is signature images in general and whether or not they are tacky, useless, untidy looking, etc.

As for my own sig image, it's not just my username, it's also a play on the boards.ie logo. If you don't like sig images, you're perfectly free to turn images off in your browser when visiting boards.ie - it's real easy you know...

bard2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

That's it Bard...tell people what to do when they visit our site, good lad.

ah I'm not and yeh know it- I'm just saying its a purely personal thing. You like 'em or you don't. You're free to turn images off, natch.

bard2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

What the hell is wrong with Marco?

ani_marco.gif Get 'em Marco!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I can only assume that you are talking about my signature image when you talk about the Photoshop plugin generated names. Seeing as I actually posted that my sig image was produced in a photoshop plugin (or rather an action) but you may also notice that after the initial testing I haven't used my sig 'cos I haven't found a piccy that I like enough <something that's about to change smile.gif >

In case you haven't noticed, I only used that at the very beginning. That was to see exactly how large an image could be. What? You'd prefer if my test image said "Hello World" ?

There is a limit to the size and dimension of the images. If people stick to that it shouldn't delay the download time, you're point that images are annoying when they are half the size of the screen or when they delay downloads would be good, if it were true. The sig. images I've seen are small, tasteful and don't insult people or significantly delay d'load times. Even if they do, the rest of the page appears while it finds the image's server. Fr example, I had trouble seeing Bard's when he forst posted it, but I could still read the rest of the thread.

Your point about the sig. being bigger than the post is valid though. Most people however don't use a sig when posting a "me too" reply, and I for one have rarely, if ever posted a reply that short, and only once attached a sig. image to it.. the post read "test" by the way.

The signatures are nice, if they aren't abused and before you argue that they could be abused, then the admins better also ban the ability to post images full stop. Many times I've opened a thread to be greeted by a long download of a funny picture or a quake screenie. How many times have people posted pr0n? The admins do a good job of deleting it when it pops up but it is still there until the admin catches it.

In my opinion, Bard's sig is grand (and Marco's quite cool as well smile.gif ). If people want to post their name as a sig image, that's fine by me, as long as the stick to teh rules of size and dimension as posted by Cloud and to the general rules of content as agreed to when you sign up for the boards in the first place.

ricky.gif

by the way,

After the size and dim. limits are taken into account and if the only argument left standing against images that only show the posters name is
    "we already know who they are, why do we have to see it again"

Maybe we should ban people from signing their posts?

Lump, if you want to sign your posts as John, why didn't you register as John??? Damn you! I already know your name is Lump, why do I need to see John as well!
    That goes for you too Cloud!
    Dev. Stop trying to be sneaky and shortening your name! That's BOLD! And increases the post's download time! Not to mention unnecessary...

hmmmm, is this an excuse for me to post my sig. pic again? Maybe....

ricky.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Originally posted by LoLth:
    ..images I've seen are small, tasteful and don't insult people...

good job i didn't choose this one then...
    forensics.gif
    you never know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

is this an argument?

can i join in then?

Im Going to Thrash you to within an Inch of your Life.....................
    AND THEN TAKE THAT INCH!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

tsk - what will they think of next?

Amp's waiting for cable!!
    cthulhulogosml.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Tacky,how dare you
    | | |
    \ /\ /\ /

latelate.jpg

wah! Me goes insane! Ruuuun, it's plush Cthulhu!!!

actually, I have to have a look for one of those cthulhu toys.

and, yes. This is just another excuse to post my sig image. smile.gif

ricky.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    tsk - what will they think of next?

Where do I get one of those dollys? smile.gif

3ddisgust3.gif My sig too big? Dial 1-800-BITE-ME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

An excuse to try one!

siglight.gif Figment

[This message has been edited by LittleFigment (edited 09-11-2000).]