Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor launches GPRS

• 29-10-2003 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

From onbusiness.ie

Mobile operator Meteor has launched its GPRS service. GPRS, also known as 2.5G, is seen as the next step towards high-speed third generation mobile services.

To coincide with the launch, Meteor is offering messaging services including photo messaging, long messages and lifestyle alerts which it says are not available on any other network. It is offering these services free until December 31.

Meteor's 'lifestyle alerts' include movie and TV reviews, and it plans to launch news and sport services in the coming weeks.

Meteor CEO Stewart Sherriff said Meteor's network had had GPRS capability for some time, but had decided not to launch until a range of products and services were in place.

Meteor will also be offering new handsets including camera phones. Vodafone and O2 have already launched their GPRS services.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

gave them a ring so i could get the settings sent out to me, and i was told that they pushed back the launch :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

I have been at them for the last month every week they tell me it will be the following week.

I called yesterday an was told that it should be ready in two weeks time.

Eóin

you can download the settings now from mymeteor.ie... you can't connect once you save them tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its up and running for me. Took 10 mins to get set up.

feck. and i've got full bars and all! after turning the phone on and trying to connect it gives me a screen saying it's connecting and then says it's not available. any attempt after that immediately tells me that the connection isn't available :( i presume it has nothing to do with me having chosen the settings for the 6610, when i have a 7210

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by carrotcake
    feck. and i've got full bars and all! after turning the phone on and trying to connect it gives me a screen saying it's connecting and then says it's not available. any attempt after that immediately tells me that the connection isn't available :( i presume it has nothing to do with me having chosen the settings for the 6610, when i have a 7210

Nope they are essentially the same phone so thats not the problem. I would double check with them are you are registering up on their GPRS network, the signal bars on your handset only signify GSM coverage so don't use that as a guide. Also, if you are somewhere where capacity is limited such as the city centre, you may have problems connecting, and when you do, it may be shocking slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

The interview on enn mentions HSCSD as well, i cant even get ordinary GPRS wap working, i cant see settings anywhere for GPRS internet or HSCSD internet.

called up meteor today and they sent me the settings, and it's all working now

2c per kb tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

2 cent ain't half bad see here.

Eóin

it is when you're used to paying nothing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Can anyone get the meteor mms messages to deliver to an e-mail address? I get a delivered message but they are not been received in any e-mail account. I am new to this is there anything I may have done wrong?

i get the same, although it does send to @mymeteor.ie email addresses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

So they only let you send mms e-mail messages to mymeteor accounts? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Fungus

Surely not. They dont say much about it on their site:

E-mail on your phone

E-mail on your phone is free until 31st December 2003

News Flash - Hotmail, MSN, AOL now available direct to your handset. 'E-mail on your Phone' allows you to read, delete, compose and send e-mail from your phone without logging onto a PC. Access your favourite internet e-mail account directly on your handset. To get set up log into My Meteor and click on the 'E-mail on your phone' section. It couldn't be easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Originally posted by Fungus
    There were problems sending to email addresses in the first few weeks of Meteor MMS/GPRS being launched.

However, I do so regulary now with no problems. I sent a 75kb MMS to an email at the weekend and it worked perfectly.... despite the limit being supposed to be 60kb... tho possibly thats only from phone - phone. Ill have to check.

Advertisement