Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imperial Armour

• 29-10-2003 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Ok im sure most of you have seen examples from the forgeworld range (The baneblade in recent white dwarfs for example). I was just wondering what you guys thought of these beasts.

If someone produced a 500 point tyranid beast with 5 wounds, Toughness 8, Strength 10, about 6 attacks with monstrous creature ability, a flamer with strength 5 AP 3 with a very pissed off look on its face and you've just seen it eat 2 landraiders for breakfast... how would you feel?

Has anyone ever played against a thunderhawk gunship? Battles with these look very fun and they do look the business.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I recall taking part in the third war for Armageddon a couple of years ago with my Orks. Some people on the opposing side brought at least two Baneblades with them. Crazy. Even worse, they were allowed to bring two of them back after they had been destroyed!:eek:

Still, somehow the "forces of darkness" managed to score a victory. :) Although some bastard walked off with one or two of my models:mad:

I'd only ever consider using a large piece like that from forgeworld for special battles, just for a bit of flavour. I don't like the idea of people using them all the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you used them in a fight, dont expect them to last without drawing the fire from the ENITRE enemy force. Id only really recommend these beats of machines to be used in objective missions, such as 'infiltrate the tank base and kill the baneblade' and make up a scenario that way, because in a fight they control the battle, kill it early and you win, if it lives your quite buggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd love to play a 5000point battle or something where i get a tyranid harridan and a couple of the other guys and we have to face off against a couple baneblades/thunderhawk/squiggoths.
    That just has fun written all over it "KILL IT KILL IT KILL ITTTTTT" "ARGH ITS A BIG FLYING THING SPAWNING LITTLE FLYING THINGS!!!!"

Epic 40K tbh. :)

Neh :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Having a teeny weeny baneblade, or a huge foot long baneblade................ no comparison really :/

Size doesn't matter *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Metaxis

ok they do rock and look spectacular but havent u seen the prices latly. i think they'v gone up (agen) its now between E220 an 250 to buy one ahhhhh its not fair

REALLY!? Omg does that include the tyranid beasties or just thunderhawk/baneblade dealies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Metaxis

no nids arnt as expencive but im not sur bout space mariens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

THe super-heavy tanks/equivalents (I'll always call them such, rather than "war engines" - thank you space marine 2nd ed :D) are absolutely beautiful albeit seriously pricey.

I would consider them as mission objectives/scenery rather than an actual playing piece except in, as mentioned before, unusual battles.

An example is an idea I've been nurturing for a while revolving around using either an eldar aircraft/super-heavy tank or an imperial guard bomber/super-heavy/titan as a mission objective whilst melding the PC game "Commandos" with W40K rules.

All said and done, I rather like the notion of super-heavy battles, a la the old "Adepticus Titanicus" game. MMmmm .. stompy stompy SMASH :D

Hmm... Inquisitor-rules-driven 40K scale special-forces-behind-enemy-lines missions, anyone? Attach the thermal charge to the Chaos Titan's legs, plant electronic scrambler in the enemy baneblade the night before battle so it can't aim?

There's potential there... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Sarky
    Hmm... Inquisitor-rules-driven 40K scale special-forces-behind-enemy-lines missions, anyone? Attach the thermal charge to the Chaos Titan's legs, plant electronic scrambler in the enemy baneblade the night before battle so it can't aim?

Well - that was what I was kinda planning to do. Basically, a "special forces" mission with rules governing lines of sight for the sentries a la "Commandos" and the ability for player-controlled squad members to go prone, crawl, etc.

Would be seriously cool to pull it off :)

I actually decided to try doing a scenario like this for a session tomorrow. An Ordo Xenos Inquisitor sneaks into an Ork camp with a small squad of crack commando Catachans to destroy some heavy artillery, battlewagons/ looted ordnance the night before the main battle. If it actually works, it should be a bit of fun on no uncertain terms. :)

Incidentally, could anyone point me to some decent stats for Orks in Inquisitor? Making characters is time consuming and the less I have to make up the better. Failing that, I'll just turn them into Arco-flagellants with no drugs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

ive a good few of the forgeworld imperial guard tanks/other stuff and never had any problems playing them, people just seem to stare at the pretty models and dont mind.

had a problem once playing my hydra though, other than that its been okies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Ameirgin

I have some of the Imperial Armour tanks, but haven't had the chance to use them yet. I remember though playing a large game (I think it was under 2nd edition rules), where we used massive armies, and my opponent used Eldar heavy tanks (there were some rules for them on the net or somewhere at the time). They were ****ing difficult to kill - I piled 11 las cannon shots into one of the damn things, only to watch all bar 2 bounce off the armour!! But the rewards when I finally blew the damn thing to tiny pieces was great - the sense of satisfaction, the look of utter despondance on my opponent's face!!:D

I think they can be used fairly because they are relatively balanced, but I would be very much in favour of agreement with my opponent before hand. Same thing would apply to large Tyranid beasties etc.

i dunno about both people agreeing, for some people (eg: me :P) it would really **** up their armys without them, all my tanks etc are forgeworld (oh so pretty) and theres printed GW rules for them so why not?

as for saying what if theyre too big for the game, theres rules about playing titans/those ****ing huge tyranids in only over 2,000pt games.

I don't think agreement is necessary for the Leman Russ variants (and yes, they are luvverly, ain't they :D ), but I would expect agreement before seeing something like a Baneblade, Titan or Big Nasty Tyranid Buggly. I certainly wouldn't use one without my opponents consent.

As for the printed rules, I notice they excised them from the latest IG Codex. I wonder why........?

I'm thinking of picking up a Tyranid Harridan, anyone know where I might order it? How big is it?

Ameirgin: they probably did that so they could sell you two books rather than one, but who knows.

Kold: you can order from your local shop or you can order online

• Advertisement

d4r3n, if that was the case then their best bet would be to release a new book for each IG regiment - I admit I would buy them all :-(

The only thing is they included the Russ variants in the first 3rd Ed IG codex, and then in the latest one, there are almost no Russ varaints at all. i wonder if they are scaling back on the tank thing in general, 'cos it's always been a sticky point with non-Imperial players.

Advertisement