Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentium M?

• 29-10-2003 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

whats the story with the processor?
    they are advertising these at 1.3ghz for laptops costing nearly 1500 whereas i have seen laptops with 2.5ghz for similar
    is there a difference in the P4 and PM processors?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

P4 - M are designed for mobile devices... They can up and down their clock speed as required for the application at had and use significantly less power... Any high-end notebook will have a P4-M rather than a run-of-the-mill P4 like you'd find in a Desktop..

Im not 100% sure but the price you are quoting still sounds expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think ur confusing it for the centrino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

Pentium4 - M is just a stipped down version of a P4.

Pentium M is the Centrino.

Well actually its not the Centrino, but its the processor used in the Centrino. To be a Centrino, a laptop has to have a Pentium M processor, an Intel chipset and an Intel wireless card.

Centrinos also bench way higher against P4s. Pentium M 1.5 ~ P4 2.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

one word.

Hyperthreading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

or not

dolt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

centrino processors have 1MB of L2 cache (on the 1.6Ghz Dell laptop I've seen), which makes them significantly faster than a 2ghz P4M processor with only 512KB Level 2 (my laptop) ... I think the centrino also supports hyperthreading ... cant remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Centrino's do not support hyperthreading, nor do they need to, their short pipeline design would mean that hyperthreading would seriously slow it down as different threads fight for control of the pipeline.

Same reason why hyperthreading on an athlon would be a waste. Pentium 4 used it because it's long pipeline meant alot of the chip was sitting idle. Centrino is based more on the original pentium/2/3 design so clock for clock it kicks the p4 about, as well as using alot less power

Advertisement